Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Welder?

Nubbs
    Anybody know a good mobile welder around Lakewood California? I'm going to modify my trailer to have a swivel tongue. My welder is not capable of welding 3/8" plate. I was thinking I could tack weld everything in place and just have a mobile welder stop by and finish it off for me.
    Thanks

25Elmn8r
    My buddies neighbor in Huntington has a mobile welder. I will see him tonight and ask if he can work with 3/8 plate. I am pretty sure he can. How soon are you looking to do this?

Nubbs
    Probably a month or so. I'm pretty flexible and not in a real big hurry.
    Thanks

OC-PARTYCAT
    what welder do you have??...how many amps?

Nubbs
    I have a Miller 130 amp wire feed. It runs off 110 Volts. It's rated to 3/16" inch. I want to weld 3/16" to 3/8". I called the Miller tech line and they recommended a larger welder be used.

OC-PARTYCAT
    That welder will weld 3/16 in one pass. I would bevel the steel and make about 3 passes, lapping
    each one then grinding smooth.
    I dont think you will have any problems doing it that way.

lovemyultra
    Be careful you are talking about your boat if you think you can do the job right go rent a machine and do it, minimal cost, but it has to be right GOOD LUCK

Nubbs
    OC,
    That would probably work, but I'm not positive I'd get proper penetration into the 3/8" plate. I mentioned the multiple pass method to the Miller tech guy, but he advised against it. He said 3/16" was the maximum for a 130. If it was a non-structural piece I would definitely do it. Thanks for the suggestion though. Like lovemyultra said, we're talkin about boats here. Better safe than sorry.

superdave013
    Yeah, that welder is way to small. I'm in anahiem and work in a fab shop. One of my guys loves doing side work. If you want you could bring it to our shop and he would knock the entier thing out for you in a day. This kids a good welder and that's all he does every day.

Nubbs
    Thanks for the offer SD! I'd like to find a mobil guy, but if I strike out on that I may be giving you a call.
    Thanks again
    Nubbs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast