Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used boat sales tax?

Akamatsu
    Can anyone tell me how sales tax works when buying a used boat private party? What about when buying out of state in either AZ or NV? I know you can register it out of state if the majority will be out of state, anyone know how this plays into sales tax? Are there still luxury taxes on boats?
    Thanks.
    Akamatsu

Just Tool'n
    Just bought a boat that was registered in AZ, but switched it over to CA. People at DMV had to pull out the books on how to register it in CA.
    Also had to pay sales tax on it in Calif, & I know that in July I will get personal property tax bill from the county on it. But seeing that I use the boat in CA all of the time I did not think I could get away with kepping it registared in AZ

Akamatsu
    Thanks for the info. Anyone know if it is registered in AZ or NV already, and I keep it registered there what happens then?
    I would register it to a LA County, CA or Clark County, NV address.
    Akamatsu

bordsmnj
    as long as you use it in az or nv 51% or more of the time..nothing. better register the trailer in ca though. it is a "vehicle" and not a "vessle".fat fine. in other words don't register in az and use it at elsinore every single week end of the summer.

Akamatsu
    bordsmnj:
    as long as you use it in az or nv 51% or more of the time..nothing. better register the trailer in ca though. it is a "vehicle" and not a "vessle".fat fine. in other words don't register in az and use it at elsinore every single week end of the summer. Trailer is not a problem, permanent plates in CA are next to nothing($35 or close?).
    So are you saying if it is registered in AZ, and I buy, there is no sales tax to AZ?
    I am just trying to find out what extra charges there will be over simply price of boat? If I spend 30K on a boat, should I also factor in 2K+ in taxes? is there a way to legally get away from taxes? I don't want to leave myself completely drained of funds, so I need to have a complete idea of what I can spend.
    Thanks.
    Akamatsu

24RODjr
    Trailer is not a problem, permanent plates in CA are next to nothing($35 or close?). [/QB]Dude...not for a new boat.
    Not to mention the difference between the fine and paying registration in Calif every year is pretty large.
    The ticket is @ $150.00 (not too fat). So you'd have to get more than a ticket per year to make it cheaper to register in Calif than AZ.

SoCalOffshore
    If you have a boat registered in CA now, but find yourself boating in AZ most of the time. How do you go about re registering it in AZ?

Steamin' Rice
    AZ Game and Fish Dept
    2221 W Greenway Rd
    PHX, AZ 85023
    602 942 3000
    Call them and they will get you what you need to register the boat in AZ. Like others said, register the trailer in CA to avoid tickets.

rivercrazy
    I recently sold a AZ registered boat private party. The buyer is keeping in registered in Az and did not have to pay any sales tax on the boat portion. He did on the CA registered trailer though

apexit
    U can Coast Guard document your boat, then keep it in NV or AZ for 90 days with receipts for gas and storage as proof, then bring it back to CA after you get an exempt from the state. I paid $2000 for an attorney to save me $18,150 in CA sales tax plus the yearly prop. tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast