Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Point of View

1stepcloser
    DickDangers thread "What Offends You?" got me thinking, and, coincidentally, I received this E-mail this morning. It's kind of funny, but if you think about it, it really makes good sense.
    A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and
    empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
    So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course rolled into the
    open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. the sand of course filled up everything else. He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "YES!". The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and
    proceeded to pour their entire contents into the jar - effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
    "Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important
    things - your family, your spouse, your health, your children -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life
    would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your boat. The sand is everything else. The small stuff." "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks."
    "The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important
    to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
    Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean
    the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
    One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.
    The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a
    couple of beers."
    [ September 10, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

maxbowride
    I just copied the message and will be sending e-mail to everyone I know.
    Thanks

maxbowride
    now I know how those double posts happen, dont use the browsers back button and try to refresh
    [ September 10, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: maxbowride ]

syke-o
    Thats some real sh!t!!!!!

sandblasted
    I love it, another good excuse for me to drink beer!

dirtvet
    Beer on the rocks never made so much sense before!

-Steve

JetBoatRich
    Greg you don't need excuses, JUST DO IT!

Laveyman
    That's some good stuff. I love it!

PipesClean
    That was really GOOD!! I'll be sending this forward!

HM
    I think many of us on these boards think the best point of view is when someone's view is not obstructed by their head being up their ass! Some people have thought that my head is so severly wedged into my ass that it would be easier to install a window in my stomach so that I can see out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast