Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Valley Lake Opens 10/3/2003

Coughlin's Law
    25mph speed limit? And no bodily contact with the water? Sounds like a great "Hot Spot" to me.
    Here's the link and article...
    http://www.dvlake.com
    Coughlin
    Diamond Valley Lake Boating Guide
    Metropolitan's Diamond Valley Lake and Lake Skinner are a delicate balance between fun and function. While they each provide Southern California residents exciting boating and fishing opportunities, they are, first and foremost, vital drinking water reservoirs. The water stored in the two reservoirs is enough to serve almost a half million Southern California families for a year. That's why Metropolitan keeps a close eye on any activity on the lakes and in their respective watersheds.
    Recognizing the lakes' recreational value as well as the need to protect water quality and guard the health and safety of the public, Metropolitan's board of directors adopted boating rules for both Diamond Valley Lake and Lake Skinner, which will become effective once Diamond Valley Lake opens. A summary of the rules follows.
    We hope you enjoy your visit while you help us protect a valuable water supply for Southern California.
    While Diamond Valley is a large lake, our East Marina parking lot is limited.
    We have 250 parking spaces for vehicles with boats, another 50 spaces set aside for people who plan to rent boats and another 50 for people who plan to fish from the shoreline near the Marina.
    The concessionaire will have a limited amount of food for sale; it is advisable to bring your picnic baskets with you.
    Permanent restrooms are not available at the marina and are not allowed on boats. There will be portable toilets on shore and floating toilet facilities on the lake.
    Fishing bag limits
    Limits on the size and number of fish each person can catch at Diamond Valley Lake is set by the California Department of Fish and Game. For a complete list of their regulations, click here
    Black Bass Limit 5, minimum size 12 inches
    Sunfish (i.e. bluegill and red ear) no limits
    Catfish Limit 10, no size limit
    Striped Bass Limit 10, no size limit
    Trout Limit 5, no size limit
    No swimming, personal watercraft, water skiing, float tubes or body contact of any kind is allowed.
    Alcohol is not permitted on boats or marinas at Diamond Valley Lake or Lake Skinner.
    Boats powered by humans, sail or electric motors are allowed on the lakes.
    Boats with four-stroke or direct fuel injection two-stroke combustion engines are allowed, as are two-stroke engines that comply with the California Air Resources Control Board 2001 or later model year spark-ignition marine engine standard (or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2006 equivalent). This rule will be strictly enforced and any questions regarding your engine compliance should be resolved prior to entrance into the park.
    Traditional carbureted two-stroke engines are not allowed.
    Only gasoline free of the additive MTBE is allowed on either lake. Boats containing MTBEladen gas will be turned away. Refueling is prohibited, except in designated areas.
    Boats equipped with sink drains or flush toilets are barred unless the drains and toilets are sealed, inoperable, or are designed so that no waste can be discharged into the lakes.
    Boats must be at least 12 feet long, 42 inches wide, and have 12 inches of freeboard at idle speed. Multi-hulled boats must have solid and fixed decking. Engine noise must not exceed 75 decibels at a distance of 50 feet with the engine running at 80 percent of redline RPM. All engines must be unmodified, standard equipment.
    Touring and recreation style kayaks, at least 10 feet long with seating for all passengers inside the boat, are allowed. No sit-on-top kayaks are allowed.
    All boats must carry approved life jackets for each person aboard. Type B fire extinguishers are required on boats where a fire hazard could be expected from the motors or the fuel system.
    Boat launching and landing is allowed only at designated docks and ramps.
    The lakes open at sunrise and close at sunset. Marina areas are closed one hour after sunset. There is no boat storage at Diamond Valley Lake.
    Metropolitan can close either lake to boating at any time and the number of boats allowed on the lake will be determined by lake elevation, public safety considerations and water quality concerns.
    The speed limit for all watercraft on Diamond Valley Lake is 25 mph. The maximum speed for boats within 200 feet of the shore, dams, other operational structures and in marina areas is 5 mph.
    The speed limit for all watercraft on Lake Skinner is 10 mph; the maximum speed for
    boats within 100 feet of the shore, dams, other operational structures and in marina
    areas is 5 mph.
    Pets are not allowed on boats on either lake.
    We hope you enjoy your outdoor experience at Diamond Valley Lake and Lake Skinner while the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California continues to protect water at its source so you can trust it at the tap.
    Diamond Valley Lake is scheduled to open for boating on October 3, 2003.

dimarcobros
    Isn't this lake suppose to be for fishing only?
    DMB

Trailer Park Casanova
    dimarcobros:
    Isn't this lake suppose to be for fishing only?
    DMB Yes.
    But the original plan sold to the voters said Wakeboarding, Water skiing, camping, shoreline golfcourse would be included.
    Once construction began,, that all changed.
    Voters get screwed again.
    [ October 02, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

RiverToysJas
    TPC is correct. they totally pulled a fast one with that deal.
    Here's my idea......Hot Boats invade Diamond Lake Res. We get a big group out there, launch, putt-putt to the center, tie off to each other and have a big floating party. Stereos Blasting...girls dancing...the full party scene.
    No body contact with the water means you have to stand on the swim step to pee, that's all.
    RTJas
    [ October 02, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

BGMAN203
    RiverToysJas:
    No body contact with the water means you have to stand on the swim step to pee, that's all.
    RTJas LMAO....I am there!!

Ziggy
    RiverToysJas:
    Here's my idea......Hot Boats invade Diamond Lake Res. We get a big group out there, launch, putt-putt to the center, tie off to each other and have a big floating party. Stereos Blasting...girls dancing...the full party scene.
    RTJas I'm for that. Are we gonna have a long distance pee contest ??
    Only problem is I hear they are booked for the first month already..

Mandelon
    That sounds cool. But don't boats need to be pre-certified to go out on it?
    This is such a major **** up on their part. This lake could be a total tourist mecca for so-cal boaters.
    A mini Havasu in our own back yard. It could generate millions of dollars in revenue, thousands of jobs in hotels restaurants and construction. Such morons in charge.... frown
    [ October 02, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

JetBoatRich
    sounds like a great place to boycott burningm

77charger
    RiverToysJas:
    RTJas Well set the date i had the same thing in mind.But i will take my fishing pole too.Imagine PC with a bbq and WC cooking fresh fish then Sausage boy well i guess he can cook the sausage

SandbarScot
    Thats their point. They don't want us there. MWD is in the business of selling water, thats all. They promised recreation, hotels, resorts, skiing, etc. when all they wanted was a reservoir. They are not in the recreation business and dont want to be. MWD will allow fishing only and has come up with some ingenious excuses to keep people away from "their water." They will inspect and "certify" your boat prior to allowing it on their water, provided it has no gas with MTBE in it. Keep in mind this is the same water we pee in at the sandbar before it goes downstream to be sucked out by MWD! Good old Colorado River water.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast