Thread: Anybody dealt with Craig Schoonover or RiverRidge or Verde homes in Havasu

Nubbs
    Has anybody dealt with or heard about Craig Schoonover, RiverRidge homes, or Verde homes in Havasu? I'm looking into building a home in Havasu and I've been talking with agent Craig Schoonover. He works in conjuction with RiverRidge homes and Verde homes in Havasu. I'm trying to find some background information on any of them. If anybody's had any dealings, good or bad, with any of the builders or agent, I'd really like to hear.
    Thanks in advance
    Nubbs

Mandelon
    Check local BBB and if there's an Arizona Contractor's License Board, check them out there too.
    Go see some of the houses they built and talk to the owners! Those construction guys can be a shady bunch! Believe me, I know. wink
    [ February 24, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Nubbs
    This may be a stupid question, but what is the BBB?

Mandelon
    Better Business Bureau.... www.bbb.org That's the national one, there might be a local one though... Here's the AZ contractors site http://www.rc.state.az.us/
    [ February 24, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

TrojanDan
    Nubbs,
    There's a law in Az that prohibits a contractor from advertising and selling a home unless he has a real estate license. The problem with dealing with an agent instead of a contractor is that you are at the mercy of the agent calling the contractor for you, getting quotes for changes, promised completion dates, etc..... Plus you'll probably pay for the agent's profit margin on top of the contractor's.
    I recently had a home completed this past November. I used DBU Homes (www.dbuhomes.com) who had both a Real Estate License and Contractor's License. I dealt with the contractor directly because they were the same person. Very pleasant experience knowing I was getting an answer from the "horse's mouth". I can go on and on but PM me if you wish.
    Another word of advice, do a contractor's license check with the AZ Contractor's License Board. They are on-line. You'll be surprised how many things you'll find i.e. - too new of a license, expired license, working under another name, filed complaints, etc..
    Check RRX site. A couple of months ago somebody told of an unhappy experience of using an agent to build their home in Havasu.
    Good-luck.
    Dan

TrojanDan
    Good advice Mandelon. Didn't see your responses.

Mandelon
    I'm a contractor........Lots of knuckleheads in this business. It definitely pays to do your homework.
    Just ask RD, those laid off stoned monkey cnc operators have to go somewhere..... wink