Thread: Trailer Registration ??

San Diego
    Does anyone know if you have to pay proprty tax on a trailer travel if the location where it is kept is out of state? I am transfering the title and it asks where it will be kept. I am in CA and it is used primarily in AZ.

Havasu Cig
    The only thing you have to pay is registration.

San Diego
    Isn't a RV a second home, property, I have to pay property tax on the boat? The location of the boat, when I registered it was my home in CA. If I would have registered my boat in AZ, the county could tax it. Isn't an RV the same?

San Diego
    Sorry, "the county couldn't tax it. I know the registration is the only money the DMV collects, but the county tax collector is different. Right?

Boatcop
    If you're a California resident, you have to register the trailer in California, unless it stays in another state and you NEVER bring it into California.
    CHP and local PDs love to find California registered cars and trucks towing Arizona trailers. To them, it's a neon sign saying "PULL ME OVER AND WRITE ME A THOUSAND DOLLAR TICKET!"
    [ September 05, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

San Diego
    What would the ticket be for? What law was broken?
    Oh yea, Thank you for helping me out with this issue.

HavasuBarney
    No self respecting boater would ever register his trailer...
    San Diego,
    That appears to be a stolen avatar also.

Boatcop
    What would the ticket be for? What law was broken?
    California Vehicle Code:
    8804. Every person who, while a resident, as defined in Section 516, of this state, with respect to any vehicle owned by him and operated in this state, registers or renews the registration for the vehicle in a foreign jurisdiction, without the payment of appropriate fees and taxes to this state, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    Resident is defined as:
    516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
    The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
    (a) Address where registered to vote.
    (b) Location of employment or place of business.
    (c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
    (d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
    (e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
    (f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
    (g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
    (h) Possession of a California driver's license.
    (i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.
    ----------------
    As far as the Luxury or other taxes are concerned, the County you live in is responsible for imposing and collecting them.
    Contact your County Assessors or Treasurer's office to see how they apply to your travel trailer.

San Diego
    Boatcop, Again Thank You.