Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Valley Lake Boating

CA Stu
    Does anyone know the straight scoop on this lake?
    I know that boating was to be allowed on the lake, then I heard no , then yes, but no body to water contact...
    What's the scoop?
    Thanks
    CA Stu

The latest.
    No body contact.
    25 MPH speed limit.
    No MTBE fuel.
    Great Fishing.
    Supposedly a ramp facility is being built to open in late spring. More extensive facilities to follow next year including hotel and stuff.
    As part of the SCMA board of directors, I went on a tour of the lake about a month ago and got the straight scoop right from the horse so to speak.
    That's it in a nutshell from the performance boating perspective.

1stepcloser
    Forget about it unless you like fishing.
    Heres a couple threads where it has been discussed previously.

RiverToysJas
    Rexone:
    The latest.
    No body contact.
    25 MPH speed limit.
    No MTBE fuel.
    Great Fishing.
    So we can all show up there and have a big flowing party!!! COOL! We'll just pretend we're launching at the Blue Water and driving to the south sand bar!!! wink As long as we stay on the boats and pee from the swim steps, there shouldn't a problem. The fishermen will love us too, because the bass from our stereos will drive all of the fish to the edges of the lake for them to catch.
    This is going to be great party place!!!
    RTJas
    [ January 15, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

CA Stu
    Rexone:
    The latest.
    No body contact.
    25 MPH speed limit.
    No MTBE fuel.
    Great Fishing.
    Supposedly a ramp facility is being built to open in late spring. More extensive facilities to follow next year including hotel and stuff.
    As part of the SCMA board of directors, I went on a tour of the lake about a month ago and got the straight scoop right from the horse so to speak.
    That's it in a nutshell from the performance boating perspective. Seems to me that before the lake was actually being built, in the planning stages when they needed public support, it was called Domenigoni Reservoir and was supposed to be a recreation oriented project? Ya know, watersports, powerboats, etc. etc.
    What happened there? The politicos got voter approval and funding, then changed the deal? What a surprise, huh?
    CA Stu

HBjet
    25mph?
    WTF?
    I say we get a big group to go and once we are all in the water we just haul ass until we get stopped and asked to leave the lake.
    What happens when you get a speeding ticket on the water? How can they prove you where going over? I guess with a radar. So, when you get a ticket, does it go on your driving record, or do you just pay a fine?
    HBjet
    [ January 15, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

NashvilleBound
    I still say that a bunch of us show up and do a group "rope dropping" into the water just to give them a heart attack. It would be quite a site....
    (for you sheltered peeps...
    rope dropping=kah-rapping) eek!

I have no knowledge of what enforcement procedures they're going to implement. Don't know the answer to the alcohol question either. My guess is that it would not be in "performance boaters" best interest in general to make an effort to push the limits. While the restrictions I've listed are how it's going to start, that's not to say they might not be relaxed over time to allow more speed. I'm sure though that like anything else, if they get a bad taste or what they view as trouble from any group, in this case, performance boaters, that relaxation later will not be as likely.
    "They" in this case are the MWD, who supplys most of the water to So Cal. Make no mistake, the MWD is in the "water business" not the "recreation business". They sell water, and that's where they make their money, not boating, not fishing, not beer sales. They own the lake and do not need boating to make money. So to face off with them on the water thinking even as a organized group of performance boaters you're going to make them change the rules, I think would be a big mistake. The only rules likely to be changed would be a lock on the gate and no boating allowed at all.
    The SCMA has no power over what the MWD does or its decisions. The entire recreational boating industry is merely a bystander to what they decide to do. It is in everyone's best interest to abide by the rules the MWD sets forth on the lake in my opinion. They are not mandated to even allow boating nor have they to date, taken any of the money allocated by the Dept of Boating and Waterways for marina development at the lake. They maintain full control over the lake and it's use just as all the other lakes in the MWD system, some of which are open to boating, others that are not.
    While we may not like it that we can't use the lake for what we all like to do, that's the way it's going to be, at least for the time being.
    [ January 15, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

JustMVG
    A friend of mine , well my girls aunt is directly involved with this project, she's been on this thing since the beginning , so i'll ask her for the info and get it posted here.
    See ya Mike VG, and good to see Nashville back!!

RiverDave:
    If your on the board of directors does that give you the abillity to voice the opinions of the performance boater?
    RD As one of 15 directors I regularly voice my opinion and give input to the SCMA, which is basically an organization designed to represent and promote boating and marine businesses of all types. We deal with issues across the spectrum that affect all types of marine businesses from fishing boat dealers to performance builders and everything in between. The SCMA also puts on the major So Cal boat Shows.
    However, the SCMA having any input or making a difference is MWD decisions and policies is an entirely different matter as the MWD isn't part of the marine industry. The MWD's priority is not providing places to go boating, it is supplying water and making sure the So Cal water supply is adequate and safe to the best of their ability. Diamond Valley lake when full, stores enough water to supply So Cal in an emergency situation for approx. 6 mo. That's a lot of water. If they say don't swim and don't pee in it, I'd think that's what we better do if we ever hope to see fast boating allowed there. Just my additional .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast