Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First you must promise the boat Gods !!!!!!

River Gambler
    You must promise the boat Gods that every time you use this secret method to get out of a traffic ticket you will provide me with a case of my favorite alcoholic beverage !!!!!
    Now that is done, let me tell you how to get out of receiving traffic tickets on the way to the river. There is a little known CVC section that most police officers do not know about. It should become your very best friend. That is section 40502(b). It simply reads:
    "Upon demand of the person arrested, before a judge or other magistrate having jurisdiction of the offense at the county seat of the county in which the offense is alleged to have been committed. This subdivision applies only if the person arrested resides, or the person's principal place of employment is located, closer to the county seat than to the court or other magistrate nearest or most accessible to the place where the arrest is made."
    What does all this mean in layman terms you ask? This section allows you, at time of the citation, to ask or demand that the officer add this section to the citation. It will then cause the citation to be transferred to the county seat for the hearing.
    So lets say you live in Orange County, you are stopped in Blythe for speeding. The officer tells you he is going to write you a ticket. Prior to the officer writing the ticket explain to him that you are going to request county seat jurisdiction under CVC 40502(b). It most cases he will let you go with a warning. If not, he will write the citation. Be sure he includes the CVC 40502(b) section on the ticket.
    This means he will have to drive to down town Riverside when you fight the citation. If, by any chance he does show, just ask for an extension. In almost thirty years I have never seen an officer show up to court to fight one of these citations. It works with city cops and CHP. Just make sure they write the 40502(b) section on the ticket. You can not request it later...
    Most young rookies are not aware of this section. Just be nice and polite and explain it to them. They can look it up or radio thier Sgt. for info. In most cases they just mumble under their breath and give you a warning.
    Now be honest with me, remember you promised the boat Gods. There is enough of you speed demons out there that I should never have to buy my own drinks again......

future boater
    right on! who is going to be the first one to try it? thanks for the info

cal-air
    I just searched the Internet and found about 4 other sites that back up this info. I'm definitely gonna remember this one. Hey River Gambler, have you used this?

Havasu Cig
    One of the myths out there is that Officers don't like to have to go to court. You have to remember that for most they are making time and a half to be in court (this includes driving time to and from). Most guys I know love court.

bohica
    I tried that one a few years ago, and he did show.

River Gambler
    Cal-air, I have never needed to, I have another way... but I have two brothers that have used it over the years. The last time was about two weeks ago in Needles.. he got a warning by a CHP. Most officers don't mind court, but most departments will not send an officer to Riverside or San Bernardino to testify on a ticket. They are usually running short with minimum deployment requriments, they can not afford to send a man away for a whole day.Most departments do not pay mileage for court appearances, if the officer does go most likley he would use a city short. In the worse case you get the ticket you were going to get any way. Trust me it has worked very well over the years.. wink
    [ August 16, 2002, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: River Gambler ]

HavasuDreamin'
    It works. That is how pops got me pleaded down in a BUI case. Told the prosecuter that it would be transferred from Needles to San Bernadino. The prosecuter was a lot more flexible and pleaded me to excessive exhaust and no flag up with a skier in the water!
    Works for me!

WetWillie
    This one migh need to be stuck to the top! Or maybe a special section for these types of topics!!
    WW eek!

TOBTEK
    WetWillie:
    This one migh need to be stuck to the top! Or maybe a special section for these types of topics!!
    WW eek! wish I had seen this sooner, I just finished my on-line traffic school today for a speeding ticket from Lake Shasta. I will be keeping a copy of this post in the truck for sure. Thanks for the tip. wink

spectratoad
    Does it work across state lines?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast