Thread: Swim Platform

El Prosecutor
    I am thinking about building a swim platform that will sit over thru-transom headers and 12JC pump. Anybody got pics of ones they like, or ideas for or about this kind of setup? Also, does the drag effect performance much?

If the swim step is mounted above the pump, it won't be in the water while running, so there should not be any problem with "drag".

DUECE'SDAD
    The boat im working on has a fiberglass molded one that came from the factory, and what i hear it sits at water level. I looked at another crappy boat for parts that had one similar, i will recheck on it, thats what i would go for more than just building one from the hardware store. I will try to get some pics of the one on my boat tonight if its not too dark.

455Rocket
    I dig my swim steps... they sit high enough out of the water so they stay dry when sitting and shouldn't produce any drag on plane.
    Some considerations:
    Splash from exhaust (I aided this by plastic netting under the steps), Degree of transom angle (important for choosing the correct brackets), Material (You can buy fiberglass pre-fabs for $$$ or make your own out of teak for a lot less) And know it's gonna mean drilling LOTS of holes in your poor boat. I've had no problems w/ leaking however, and the ol' Nordic's transom seems strong enough to support the added weight.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...CT0052-med.JPG

bigblockbill
    I made my own from 3/8 alum. plate. I cut them to size with a circular saw with a good carbide blade (might have turned it around and ran it backwards... i don't remember i have done it both ways) Then used a table top shitty mill to cut the slots. Then used a wood router to round the edges. Then took and had them poweder coated. I had to install them below the exhaust, but that is just how the boat was already set up. I made another pair and installed them on a friends boat above the exhaust just the same. I think I had 50 bucks into materials, and 100 bucks into the powerder coating. Probably anouther 75 or so for the brackets.
    Look at my add in my signature for the 21 daytona and you can find a picture of them, or pm me your email and I will send you some other photos.
    P.S. I have another set un-painted/powedercoated I might be able to sell if your interested.

centerhill condor
    depending on your choice of design... you will feel the exhaust pulse in the boat. me thinks that a design with slots or holes would reduce that effect.. mine however, is solid fiberglass. best of luck..