Thread: How do you start an F350 PSD?

burtandnancy
    Actually, thats not the problem, I am. In the AM's I remember to wait for the light to go out, but for the rest of the day, I just jump in and turn the key. I'm told that can cause damage. Does any new PSD driver have a way to remember to wait for the light. I've driven gas for over 50 years, old habits are hard to break...

Jordy
    I'd start one with five gallons of gas and a match...
    It's just a matter of getting use to waiting for the light to go off. I start my Chevy all the time without waiting for the glow plugs, especially in the summer or when I just shut it off, and with 230K miles, it hasn't hurt it a bit.

Nubbs
    The glow plugs are just to help with starting. You won't hurt anything by cranking before the light goes out. It rarely gets cold enough out here to have starting problems. Maybe the following information will clear things up for you (sorry about the goofy format though).
    The engine uses a glow plug system that preheats air in the combustion chamber to improve cold engine starting.
    The system consists of:
    intake manifold glow plugs.
    glow plug relay.
    Powertrain Control Module (PCM) .
    Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) sensor.
    Barometric pressure sensor (BARO sensor).
    The glow plug system is electronically controlled by the powertrain control module. If the temperature is below 55°C (131°F) the powertrain control module will energize the glow plugs immediately after the key is placed in the ON position. Then, depending on the readings from the engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor, the powertrain control module determines how long the glow plugs will be on.
    Glow Plugs - PCM-Controlled
    The intake manifold glow plugs are located in the cylinder heads, under the valve covers.
    The glow plugs are self-regulating. If the engine oil temperature is above 55°C (131 °F) , the powertrain control module will bulb-check the WAIT TO START lamp but not energize the glow plug relay.
    The powertrain control module protects the glow plugs by energizing them for short durations if the battery voltage is abnormally high.
    The glow plug ON time varies from 0-120 seconds depending on battery voltage, engine oil temperature and barometric pressure.
    On California vehicles the glow plug monitor system is part of the On-Board Diagnostics II (OBD II) System.
    The Glow Plug Monitor (GPM) system is designed to find failed glow plugs or failed wiring in the glow plug system.
    The GPM system uses a low resistance shunt to conduct current to the left and right bank glow plugs.
    Three sensing wires measure the voltage drops across the shunt when the glow plugs are operating. A failure in the glow plug system will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) .
    Glow Plug Light Signal
    The Glow Plug (GP) light signal controls the WAIT TO START indicator light located on the instrument panel. When the light goes off, the engine is ready to be started. As a bulb check, the light comes on every time a key on reset occurs, even though the glow plug system is not commanded on. On-time normally varies between 1 and 10 seconds . WAIT TO START light on-time is independent of glow plug relay on-time because the glow plugs may stay on to improve performance until engine reaches operating temperature.
    An open circuit in the glow plug light wiring will result in an inoperative glow plug light. A short circuit will result in a glow plug light always ON condition.

Hotcrusader76
    NUBBS,
    Check your PM box.

Hotcrusader76
    jordanpaulk:
    I'd start one with five gallons of gas and a match...
    It's just a matter of getting use to waiting for the light to go off. I start my Chevy all the time without waiting for the glow plugs, especially in the summer or when I just shut it off, and with 230K miles, it hasn't hurt it a bit. Funny thing....because I think 78Eliminator starts his boat that way....Do you guys know each other?

burtandnancy
    Nubbs, that was extremely informative. Thank you very much, I feel better now...