Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion on this? This should be great...

Hotcrusader76
    Well the final machine work is almost done. This is what will be assembled next week for our Jetboat.
    BBC- Marine toleranced 0.030 over, 2-bolt mains
    Flat-top cast pistons/cast crank (cost savings was done here)
    049 heads, 2.19 SS intake, 1.88 SS exhaust
    COMP Cams 244/254 @.050" 112 Center, .570"/.575" Lift
    Hyd.lifters, true roller timing chain
    Basset Over the top open headers
    Victor 2-R tunnel ram with dual 660s converted to 850 baseplates (yes it's rect.port intake)
    Mallory Comp 9000 ignition with Hy-fire
    Mallory 110 pump and filter 08 lines to reg, 06 to carb.
    My question is...what setting should I dial that cam into? The boat it's in is very light and runs a Berkley pump. Is this combination going to work? I know I can run more compression but I didn't want to get new pistons quite so soon. This was suppose to be only a refresh on the motor this season. Any help, advice, critcism, etc is welcome!

~Ty

BK
    That motor sound real close to my setup and ive been real happy with it.
    Just curious, was that pic of your boat taken down river from McIntyre? The aria looks real familier. Nice boat btw.

Hotcrusader76
    Yup. That's down at Watermelon. mile south of McIntrye Park. I'll be there Thursday nite aroung mid-night until Monday afternoon. See ya there?
    ~Ty

BK
    Only in my DREAMS!!! I live in Redding now (moved here three years ago) and will be out on Shasta this weekend. I grew up in SoCal and we had a trailor at McIntyre for years and a member of my family owned Walters Camp (still does sorta) so I spent alot of time on that part of the river, really do miss it ALOT!!!! Have fun this weekend.

77charger
    to me that sounds like a strong lake boat motor.I would reconsider the mallory distributor.I have had the comp9000 and that infra red lite in the unilite was nothing but probs sometimes boat wouldnt start check for spark none then out of anger crnk it 5 min lter then it would strt fine.(one key just got stuck on my keybord guess which one)
    try the fuel pump out but i know the 140 kicks @ss.

Hotcrusader76
    I have had nothing but great things to say about Mallory components. I have run this Mallory Comp 9000 and Mallory 110 for years now and they always performed without error.
    I just sent the distributer and fuel pump in 2 weeks ago back to Mallory for a refresh and rebuild (cost savings over buying new again). I just got them back today and they are brand spanking new again.
    It only cost me $150.00 to have the COMP 9000 and Mallory 110 Fuel pump fully overhauled....total!
    Dennis over there at Mallory offered the best customer service I've delt with in years; called me back as agreed, shipped on-time, and he was 'human' on the phone. He could have topped MSD if he handed me new wires free of charge ...
    I have always been Pro-MSD, and I almost ditched this Mallory stuff for it. But $150 was worth the budget to me considering it's brand new again; wires, gaskets, stickers, nameplates, internals, etc.
    ~Ty

HammerDown
    Sounds like a nice combo...I'm wondering if maybe the compression is a little soft for that cam? Maybe advance the came a few degrees for an increase in head pressure.
    I'm running a 468, 2 bolt block, OE Cast Crank, Re-worked OE Rods 049 heads worked/flowed $$$to the hilt...Comp Cams 232/237 Dur 550/550. Farari(sp)? Valves Inconel Ex. with 10:1 TRW Forged Pistons. Fully Ballanced, Dual Plane Stealth 715 Vac sec.- 850 DP going on next.
    Dual Point Mallory...that works just fine!
    Stout little motor.
    [ May 22, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

HBjet
    sounds like a good setup, but I would spend the money and get the forged pistons. To me those pistons would be the weakest point in the motor.
    What kind of HP are you expecting, and are you going to dyno the motor?
    HBjet

Hotcrusader76
    Yeah I agree with ya Randy. Everything was on the strict of budget so I can keep the money tied up in the Merlin program I have going.
    I think I am going to buy a set of forged pistons today and raise the compression up to 10.2 or so. This should wake the motor up with that cam.
    Based on this thread, I was sort of expecting the opinions I got....pistons....pistons....pistons....etc.
    Pistons it will be then. At least the 0.030 flat-tops are Ebay material.
    Randy, I plan on having it dynoed from Ed Hale. This way I can test some carb combos with it for the business (real time number comparisons for an average lake boat) and get a proper break-in on that cam.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I think pistons it will be...
    ~Ty

LeE ss13
    OK ... other than pistons, everything looks good to me except I have a question about the carbs. Those 660's don't have power valves which means you will be running on full rich all the time. It might be more of a problem on a v-drive than a jet since the engine RPM is much higher at mild crusing speeds. I like the #6109 750s for that. They have a power valve in the primaries and 2 excellerator pumps, one for the primaries and one for the secondaries so they are more articulated. The mileage is much better. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast