Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TOWING ETIQUETTE

burtandnancy
    I've noticed lately a lot of you younger guys and new boaters have really nice boats and you seem to drive them well, but to tell the truth you don't have TOWING ETIQUETTE. As an old timer(boating since '58) and one who tows to FL, TX, LOTO, AZ, NV and Nor Cal I'd like to make a few pointers;
    1st, some of you don't have the correct tow vehicle for your size boat. If you can't merge into freeway traffic without causing a lot of braking by others, go back and buy a bigger truck. If you can't get up Cajon, Chiricao or the Baker Grade at least at the speed limit, go back and buy a new truck.
    2nd, If you're on the I-10, I-15 or I-40 and you can see the horizon in front of you, look in your mirror. You probably have the rest of us backed up to LA. YOU are the problem.
    3rd, Don't be a balloon foot letting your speed drop off all the time. Use your cruise control, thats whats it's for.
    4th, If you want to blow by me please flash, honk or yell, I'll get out of your way. I'll be about a mile behind while you troll for the CHP.Remember I'll be going 70.
    5th, When we get to the launch ramp, please use the GET READY lane for just that. If you load your boat or delay me in any way with your tail in the water, you're going to hear some words you won't want your wife or kids to hear.
    Finally, if we meet face on, on one of the many two lanes roads we all must use and I quick flash you three times, SLOW DOWN. I'm telling you you're about to drive into a radar speed trap! You can return the favor.
    I'm sure there are lots more comments and you young guys are welcome to take a shot at the old man...

superdave013
    Ok, I can add to this a lil.
    Launching Etiquette part 2
    This goes out to mainly people that are in the new boat industry.
    You know who you are. You test boats and take people for test rides at Elsinore and you LEAVE your trailer in the water right next to one of the docks. You better lock your truck, because I'm about ready to start launching your Truck for you!
    Could you please be like the rest of us in the unwashed masses and pull your truck and trailer out of the way and park it. I know it's alot to ask but hey, I do it for you.
    [ August 24, 2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Chestah Cheetah
    My peeve: If you drop your boat in the water and it won't start while it's still on the trailer, pull the damn thing out. Don't go off for 20 minutes searching for jumper cables while I'm waiting to launch. If you're courteous and do the right thing, I might lend you my cables.

Essex502
    Chestah...had that exact thing happen to me at Lake Mojave a couple of weeks ago, yanked that puppy right back out got back in line (another 30 minutes but did the right thing. I hate watching all those obviously new boaters who don't know anything about etiquette.

Chestah Cheetah
    Good move E502! The only time I would even consider staying on the launch to wrench is when NOBODY is waiting during off times or off days. It happened to us over Memorial at LHM with this guy who had a Warlock SXT cat that wouldn't start. I got out of the truck 2 times to talk to the attendant who just kept saying "they almost have it".......and the 3rd time I told the boat owner to move. At that moment the attendant stopped the lane next to mine and had me cross the lane diagonally and straighten out into the water........I was towing a 30 footer - it took us ONE MINUTE to launch.

XClutchboy725
    What gets my goat every time is the guy who thinks he can tow in the fast lane!
    Don't get me wrong, I've been known to smooth over to the third lane every once in a while to pass those big rigs who just have to duke it out, but COME ON!!

EricinNv
    This is one of the things I like best about these forums. The Etiquette threads. Just about all of the experienced of you have the same opinions. I just hope the other un-experienced "lurkers" such as myself, have the savvy to use this information to their advantage. Take notes y'all! I've learned more in the past few weeks listening (reading) to these guys and picking their brains. There's a lot of knowledge here to be learned.

Mohavekid
    Glad to hear it Eric, too bad most of the people that need to lean this stuff are'nt here and probably will never learn. The things they do give all boaters a bad reputation.

77charger
    burtandnancy:
    truck. If you can't get up Cajon, Chiricao or the Baker Grade at least at the speed limit, go back and buy a new truck.
    Well i wish it was that easy!!
    i drive an older suburban and it is a turd on power especially when towing a toybox trailer up hills.

kcm21
    not totally associated with towing but if you are not dropping your driver off at the dock.......make room for the people that are. the worst is a cluster f$ck of boats with no room to drop off.
    -kevin-

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast