Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death at Lake of the Ozarks

Sea Esta
    Here is the article from today's paper at LOTO...
    Woman drowns when boat goes down in Glaize with boat, drowns
    Cruiser swamped by wakes on Grand Glaize Arm, passenger trapped in cabin
    By Joyce L. Miller
    LAKE OF THE OZARKS - A 35-year-old woman drowned when the cruiser she was on sank on the Grand Glaize Arm of Lake of the Ozarks.
    According to the Missouri Water Patrol, the body of Wendy Gott of Barnhart, Mo., was recovered inside the cabin of the 31-foot Chris Craft about three hours after it sank near the 3-mile marker of the Glaize Friday.
    The boat was outside the no-wake zone that stretches from the mouth of the Grand Glaize Arm to near the Moorings Yacht Club.
    A Water Patrol spokesman said the boat was stopped in the main channel of the Grand Glaize when it was hit by a series of large wakes. The first wakes to hit the boat filled the engine compartment. The second round of wakes breaking over the boat caused it to sink stern first. Witnesses said the bow was pointing straight up as the boat sank.
    A diver from a private company was brought in to help with recovery efforts. He said he found the stern resting in mud in about 70 feet of water. The bow was still pointing up.
    Water Patrol officers said the description matched the sequence of events provided by seven people thrown from the boat when it started sinking.
    The Water Patrol said the seven survivors were picked up by boaters who stopped to help.
    Witnesses said the boat was idling when it started to take on water. They said waves rolling over the boat were over six feet high.
    Efforts to re-start the engine failed as the compartment filled up. The passengers said there wasn't a lot of time between the first and second round of waves. Gott was apparently in the cabin and didn't get out in time.
    The Water Patrol said the boat was coming from Party Cove headed toward the Grand Glaize Bridge.
    Gott's is the third boating-related drowning of the season at Lake of the Ozarks.

jlnorthrup122
    That is terrable. there was a 4 year old girl who drowned up here in the coravile lake next to the damn. Here perents should have kept a better eye on her.
    but anyhow how yah doin sea esta?

Sea Esta
    not bad jln, How you been. Went up to partycove over the 4th. I'll post a few pics here tomorrow. I've got to meet a friend for a drink here in a few. She's getting married Thursday. But it was a wild time and some good times were had. How's your boating season been? We went from cool weather to down right hot!!!!
    Well got to run....Will post some pics tomorrow or you can check out a few of the pics I posted at www.partyboating.com. Just go to the message boards and look under rooster tails. I pretty sure that is where I put them. Plus there are other pics of the poker run under throttle this from last weekend. Check it out. Some good pics.
    later

572Daytona
    Very sad I want to know what type of boat can make 6 foot wakes? That is huge unless you have barges running on the lake.

Wild Horses
    Does anybody know why the Cat boat came blazing into Party Cove (July 4 about 2 to 3 PM)lights and sirens going and went up the Gauntlet and then came blazing back out with more people on the Boat. (Hope it wasn't to serious)
    Clint

jlnorthrup122
    I want to know what type of boat can make 6 foot wakes? That is huge unless you have barges running on the lake.
    It could have been cojestion in that area or wind or both you get a large # of boats running all different directions and you can get some very seriouse wake not tomention that the Lake of the Ozarks is a really big lake!

Winfab
    My wife was told today about the drowning/accident at LOTO, by her father. He was quite disturbed by it and he's no stranger to water. Doesn't help that we just bought a Sanger flatbottom.
    We have a place at the Lake, on the main channel. We don't even go there on holiday weekends anymore since the Lake is all but un-useable, as evidenced now that even a 31' Chris Craft can be swamped. No doubt there is a lot of information that's lacking to explain the accident and the fatality.
    I hate to think of any "solution" that may be implimented, but I have grown tired of having large, fast boats come charging up behind me, only to swerve at the last second. Passing at a distance of 30', producing a 4-5' wake is irresponsable, at best. No Wake zones? HA! What a joke!
    Now we have the flatbottom (it will be muffled). Early morning rides and put her back on the trailer by 7:00 AM, different lakes, sell it and sit on the deck? I don't know. You can bet that the MO legislature will at some point get involved and the resulting legislation will not be a "happy place" for boaters. The quest for bigger and faster boats and the "right" to party with a few thousand of your closest friends may at some point be in jeopardy. Where will it end? Who knows! I'll bet my money that the actions of an irresponsible, careless few will bring about changes we'd rather not see.
    Big boats are cool, fast boats are even better, but when operated by show-off morons, they're weapons.
    May Wendy Gott rest in peace!

Jake W
    The question about what kind of boats make 6 foot wakes is answered by the people at that end of the lake buy the biggest fastest boats posible.I have a friend that at one time his dad (last name Fields)owned the procharger 42 foot Fountian and a 38 ft Skater cat both over 100 mph boats that tells you what kind of money and size boats are down there.It is amazing to go over the bridge down there and it is not unusual to see 20 to 30 boats over 30 foot long in the chanel.Makes you want to go through rocks at your boat.It is pretty crazy out there on big week ends.
    Jake

Seadog
    On weekends, Grand Lake sees 4-6 ft wakes all the time on the main body. There is no solution because any solution affects all boaters, not just the rich ones. The biggest wakes are produced by the big displacement hulls doing about 15 knots, but after hundreds of boats zip along, it doesn't matter.
    How the wakes affect the boat is the duty of the pilot. Too many people panic and slow down too much for the big wakes, or try to take them with the stern. Unfortunately, boating is a skill that few try to learn.

572Daytona
    The lake I boat on (Lanier) is pretty big and has its share of 50'+ cruisers too that can make some pretty big ass wakes. I've had them break over the bow of my 17' fish and ski but I would put them more in the 4' range than 6'. I can't imagine anything big enough to swamp my 26' cruiser unless it was floundering already.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast