Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AVI resort to Havasu sandbar

el_jefe
    Is there a route from AVI resort to Havasu sandbar, and if so. Will a 21 ft jet boat make it there and back on 40 gallons of fuel.

SK48
    Just straight down river and back. Not real tough navigation. You can always get more fuel at Park Moabi near the I-40 bridge if 40 gallons won't do. I've gone from Lake Havasu to Avi in my Hallett and fuel was never an issue, but it is a v-drive.

25Elmn8r
    Getting from the AVI to sandbar is a piece of cake. You will probably want to pick up some fuel at Park Moabi or Topock just to make sure you have enough. Take it from me, it's not fun running out of gas down river!!!!!
    [ February 10, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

Her454
    Speaking from experience, and the driver of a jet, get gas...it sucks to run out downriver, period. eek!

ACCEPTENCE
    Sure...it's no problem, take off and go, you'll be fine, don't sweat it, have fun

jm2drvr
    I don't know about the water level, even for a jet. I was there a few weeks back, and above needles it looked pretty dicey. Water level even lower this month than when I was there in Jan...be careful.

25Elmn8r
    Her454:
    Speaking from experience, and the driver of a jet, get gas...it sucks to run out downriver, period. eek! Her454, I am speaking from experience too!!! It totally sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rivercrazy
    What motor and impeller do you have? I had a 21 Shockwave with a 454 Mag and an A impeller and made that trek without getting gas numerous times (cruising at about 3200-3600 rpm).
    If you don't screw around skiing too much, you should be able to make that trip without refueling. However, its always safe to make a gas stop! There are 3 decent places to get gas. Needles Marina, Park Moabi, and Golden Shores Marina (Topok). Its always easier to get gas on the way down than back up cause the gas stations close early (like 430-5pm).
    From the Avi to Needles bridge there are a few rock bars to watch out for. When the water is up, your good to go but below about 12,500 cfm, watch out for them. There are about 4-5 to keep an eye out for and are mostly on the California side of the river. They are easy to spot.
    You can check for flows at www.coloradoriverinfo.com
    Just remember advertised flows are peak flows that typically occur later in the day.
    BTW - Thats a great ride so enjoy it.
    [ February 10, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: rivercrazy ]

sandblasted
    We do a needles to sandbar trip and back a couple times a summer, 21ft jet...My fuel tanks (36 gallons)are pushing empty by the time I get back to Needles, but I usually go WOT there and back......Take everyone's advice..stop for fuel in topock if you want to make it all the way to the Avi.
    the river from Needles to Avi is not bad at all for a jet...stay away from the California side..there are alot of submerged trees and stumps.

Windy
    You will definitely have to stop and get gas. Its a fun ride through the gorge when you put the hammer down

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast