Thread: Drinkin' Beer With History at the Sandbar

Trailer Park Casanova
    I was watching the news again, and they're criticizing the U.S. for Hiroshima. This is it's aniversary date.
    I've shook hands with a few involved with those historical events right there at the river.
    We pull up to the Headgate Sandbar and go into the ritual,,, get the anchors set, get the the drinks dialed in,, make sure the kids are doing what they want,, then Kathy and I walk around chatting to anyone we can.
    We came across a guy on a deckboat with his girlfriend, and his super neat dog named dipstick.
    Got to chattin with him. Affiable and interesting as I've ever met. Looked in his late 50's,, was in fact in his 80's.
    Life is facinating to listeners, everyone has a story.
    I learned he was a WWII veteran, and later after a few beers, I got a story outta him.
    He was a lieutenant in the US Army Infantry in the Pacific. After VJ day,, he was the officer in charge of executions of war criminals. He stood on the gallows as the proceedings were read, the ropes were placed, and the trap door dropped.
    It was his duty to carry it out.
    His unit executed almost 600 of Japans worst. If you read the book 'The Rape of Nanking' or any history of Japans occupation of Manchuria,,you'd understand why these criminals got their necks stretched.
    He told me over another beer that we executed over 2000 war criminals in the Pacific alone. After the war, the U.S. rounded up all these guys,, and stretched their necks deluxe.
    My dad used to come out and stay a couple of days with us in Parker. He's too old now,, but near one of his last trips, he took me to the VFW.(Veterans of Foreign Wars).
    I'm a Viet Nam veteran,, but won't join the VFW because of a bad incident my dad and I had there once over their acceptance of Viet Nam vets,, but thats another story for Military.com.
    Anyway,, in town, and at the VFW, was another WWII Vet we bumped into that was in Havasu to visit his daughter because it was his Grandchilds birthday.
    My dad was a pilot in WWII and new this guy. It was Paul Tibbits, the pilot of the Enola Gay.
    I got to meet him,, most of the VFW members had no clue who he was, and didn't really want any fuss over his notarity anyway. He was very sharp,, with a outstanding sense of humor, and is still alive today.
    Probably no BFD to you,, but shaking hands with history is facinating to me.

lynden
    I love talking with my grandfather's about their experoences. One was in WWII, the other was in Korea. My uncle was in Nam. Some of the stories that they and their friends have are fascinating. More fascinating than hearing stories from my dad and buddies about street racing and boating!!

skeepwerkzaz
    I agree fully. I have met a few notables such as Greg "Pappy" Boyington, Chuck Yeager, and many other "war horses" having gone to many functions with my dad who is a Naval Academy graduate, and a former aircraft carrier attack pilot. He also served in Viet Nam. (3 tours) I go with him whenever I get a chance too(and am invited!). My favorite event that I have gone to was by far the infamous "Tailhook Association" convention. Astronauts, Admirals, and Aircraft carrier pilots all in the same hotel and drinking their faces off.
    Talk about good stories...
    skeep

jlnorthrup122
    Legends Indeed Casanova! legends indeed!

spectratoad
    I love to talk to the guys that formed this country as it is now. As a disabled vet I get all of my care at the VA. I also worked in the mental health clininc at the VA while in school. Yes it is a long wait to get into your appointment but to sit there and spend the time listening to history from the guys that were there to make it is so awesome. Once these guys pass on there will be no others to tell it in the first person. I am a semi-history buff anyway but these stories are ones you will never read about. The pacific war had many atrocities that we never were told or that stayed dout of the spotlight but I look at it as I think most military people do. I don't want any glory I am just there to do a job. If it means giving my life or helping make someone elses better then so be it.
    Thanks for your service TPC. BTW you tell some great stories yourself.

Craig
    BS on the criticizing, when the bombs were dropped, we saved tens of thousand of American lives by avoiding an invasion of the Japanese mainland. Operation Orange, if I recall, would have been a mess, the Japanese would have put up a hell of a fight based on the battles on the out lying islands. Remember, we were at war in '45, but not in December '41!
    I also love talking with my Dad about his time in '45. He was only a baker on a Liberty ship, but he did make Okinawa shortly after the victory there. He signed up as a baker based on recommendation of a high up uncle in the Navy. But he wanted to be on a PT boat. When he was told "we don't have bakers on a PT boats" they wanted to put him on a sub! He luckily got that changed!
    [ August 10, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

AzDon
    The History Channel had a 2 hour show yesterday(Sunday) about Japanese atrocities from 1932 thru the executions at the end of the war. The Japaneses were institutionally and nationalistically warped in a racist kind of way, and we should have bombed every square inch of Japan completely flat and lifeless! Instead, we excused their Emporer from ANY responsibility and have awarded reparations to our interment guests, whom were not mistreated like Japanese POW's were! History Channel was also showing a 2 hour program about Kamikazis that gives another glimpse of Japanese cultural fanaticism!

Craig
    I saw that too. Heavy stuff. My Dad always gets pissed about the Emporer being let off, yeah he didn't know what was going on, it was all his generals My Dad always says we wouldn't we have let Hitler off, so why this guy? Then the Emporer, in a speech to the people says, the war is over, not that they surrendered. BS!