Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawyers are scum

Seadog
    Heard this on the news today. A law firm wondered why a member had not shown up at work. So they sent someone to check him out. That person found him dead, so they called the police. Then they sent someone to notify his family, After the funeral, the firm sent a bill for $17,000 for their time to find the body and notify the family.

YeLLowBoaT
    Heard this on the news today. A law firm wondered why a member had not shown up at work. So they sent someone to check him out. That person found him dead, so they called the police. Then they sent someone to notify his family, After the funeral, the firm sent a bill for $17,000 for their time to find the body and notify the family.
    thats some hourly rate....
    reminds me of a joke about lawyers.
    A lawyer named Strange was shopping for a tombstone. After he had made his selection, the stonecutter asked him what inscription he would like on it.
    "Here lies an honest man and a lawyer," responded the lawyer.
    "Sorry, but I can't do that," replied the stonecutter. "In this state, it's against the law to bury two people in the same grave. However, I could put ``here lies an honest lawyer''."
    "But that won't let people know who it is" protested the lawyer.
    "Certainly will," retorted the stonecutter. "people will read it and exclaim, "That's Strange!"

You are a tool. Anyone who believes this story is a focking idiot.
    (1) Do you geniuses know how many hours it would take to bill $17K?
    (2) A firm can only bill time to a client, pursuant to an agreement. So, who the heck did all that time get billed to? Just curious.
    What is your occupation, bitch?

THOR
    You are a tool. Anyone who believes this story is a focking idiot.
    (1) Do you geniuses know how many hours it would take to bill $17K?
    (2) A firm can only bill time to a client, pursuant to an agreement. So, who the heck did all that time get billed to? Just curious.
    What is your occupation, bitch?
    Angry huh? You can actually bill time to whomever you want. Time not spent on a particular matter must be accounted for somewhere.

THOR
    You can bill time to whomever you want, but I don't think they're obligated to pay without an agreement between the client and the firm. If this is a true story, of which I'm highly skeptical, it's possible that the firm billed his estate for a variety of service related to ending his employment/partnership. Hell, I don't know, I put speakers in holes for a living.
    Exactly. No ticky, no laundry. There must be some type of agreed retention and usually is in the form of a signed letter. But, that doesnt stop folks from billing time. I bill clients prior to having a signed retention letter.

THOR
    Scum!
    No, lawyers are scum, I am a scumbag.

Seadog
    1. I made it clear that it was a report made on a news report. Ask Dan Rather, if they say it is true, facts don't matter.
    2. Never put a deviant method of stealing beneath a lawyer. Any one that follows what is going on in the world, is aware of some of the practices used by shark lawyers. One presidential hopeful was noted for sending notices to businesses and doctors threatening a lawsuite unless they settle out of court. The letters had no known event behind them, but never the less, the threat was effective. Two things strike fear in most people, a letter from the IRS and a letter from a lawyer.
    3. I'd rather be a tool than a fool.

al cole'holic
    ...one of my attorneys called me a couple weeks back, while I was out of town...he's shootin the shiat, askin me about the bikes I am picking up etc, then asks me 1 question about a deal he's handling...got the statement, $200 bucks for the call, a hundred here for an email, a hundred here for another email!! He sent me an email today about a State Fund matter, I said make sure they pay for this email....if he wasn't worth his weight in gold though he wouldn't be my attorney

HMF'er
    ...one of my attorneys called me a couple weeks back, while I was out of town...he's shootin the shiat, askin me about the bikes I am picking up etc, then asks me 1 question about a deal he's handling...got the statement, $200 bucks for the call, a hundred here for an email, a hundred here for another email!! He sent me an email today about a State Fund matter, I said make sure they pay for this email....if he wasn't worth his weight in gold though he wouldn't be my attorney
    You should set up a 900 phone number that pays you like $100/hr. Have your attorney call you at that number.

MagicMtnDan
    A new lawyer had just opened up his office. "Ah! A client already," he thought as he saw the door opening. "I must impress him."
    He picked up the telephone. "No, I'm very sorry, but I can't take your case, even for $5,000," he said. "I'm just too busy."
    He replaced the receiver and looked at his caller. "And now, what can I do for you?" he asked briskly.
    "Nothing, really," was the reply. "I just came to connect your telephone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast