Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a dog...need help

Wet Dream
    I had a Golden Retriever for close to 15 years. He died about 5 years ago, and that was devestating enough. We're ready for a new addition to the family. I have just submitted my application to a local Golden Rescue shelter and am waiting for a reply. They currently have 2 pups left. I want a young dog so that it can grow and get used to my 2 boys 6 and 3. So out of curiousity, we went to the SPCA and looked around there. I would have taken about 75% of them home with me, but we are torn between 4 different ones. One is a rottie mix, female, one year old and a lap dog, so she thinks. The other is a sheppard mix, one year old, affectionate, but likes to jump up on people. Another option is a bother-sister set of puppies (7 wks), black terriers, but not rat type, more of a rounded face. And the other is a black lab retriever puppy (8 weeks). How do you decide which is best, or should I hold out for my Golden? We had to leave because I didn't want to make a spur of the moment decision, even though we can return or exchange the dog within 30 days. How the hell do you put a dog through that? Take him or her home and then possible have to take it back because its not all that. I'm also thinking about the size of the dog in relation to being able to take him in the boat. How does a rottie do in jet??

78Eliminator
    Black lab hands down. Best dog I ever owned....

waterloged
    how about a boxer.They are fun loving dogs and are go with kids...

Liberator TJ1984
    Labs tend to like the water at least the ones I've had.

75_Elim
    I'm in favor of the Lab. If you get the right one they can be the best friend you'll know.

DogHouse
    I have a black and a yellow lab, both very sweet and gentle dogs, love the water and great around kids. They do like to dig and chew so it's hard to keep the back yard neat, but then again the same could be said of many dogs. I don't think you can go wrong with a lab. Only one I ever met that I didn't like was a lab/chow mix and was mean and crazy.
    -brian

Daytona19
    Believe it or not we just adopted a 5 month Pit bull,shar pa (spelling ???) and it is a wonderful dog, one of the best I have had out of 7 dogs. She mind well doesnt jump has trained easy and is fantastic with the kids and doesnt shed bad. She did get parvo from the shelter and it usually kills 95% of the animals affected but we caught it early and foung a medicne called PARVAID and it saved her life, the vet could not believe it, he gave her a death sentence or 120.00 a day but for 7 days. So its been a good expirence so far

Beautiful Noise
    I prefer Lab's also, I've had a Chocolate for 13 year's till I had to put her down a couple of year's ago,Now I have a Yellow Lab who's 11 Month's Old.Wonderful Dog's around Water and People,She make's every trip to the River with Us
    Steve

1stepcloser
    Back in '95 we went to a local no-kill animal shelter and adopted a dog. 6 months later we went and adopted another one for a companion to the first.
    The first is a german shepherd mix, the second is australian shepherd. They are, as my daughter refers to them "mutley-ding-dongs".
    They also are the two best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of having. Excellent companions, excelent watchdogs, super loyal, and very durable.
    By that I mean neither has ever been sick, or anything like that.
    Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service.

Screaming Pete
    I'd go black Lab,myself, but my wife just put a deposit down on a rat terrier

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast