Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a dog...need help

superdave013
    I think you should get one of those pound puppies. Growing up we always had Goldens too. Great dogs for sure. But as you know, they all get homes.
    I have a Sheppard/golden mix and a Sheppard/husky mix. Both are great dogs.
    I got one as a pup and had my pick. The one that bonded with me was the one I got. The other was a little under a year when I got her. A friend found her down by the port of LA covered in Grease and oil. It took awhile for her to come around but now she's one of my best buds.
    Remember, dogs are reflections of their owners. Bring them up right and they will be great.

superdave013
    1stepcloser:
    Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service. Ditto!

RandyH
    Nothin Greater than cruisin with a dog standing on point in the bow. This is how she feels when where not in the water. I might try a German Shorthair next time. Great for Duck Hunting.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/alarm.JPG[/img]
    Good luck and post some picture of your decision.

ROZ
    We have a Golden Retriever/Lab mix that we picked up when my daughter was around 6 months old. At that time the Molly (the dog) was 8 weeks old. Molly was a little rambunctious throughout the yard and when an adult was outside, but she has NEVER lay a paw on our little girl. She'd jump all over my wife and me, but not our daughter. Both are 3 now and play together in the backyard like old friends as harmoniously as you could ask for. Hell, my girl yanks on Molly's years and tail without incident. The dog is a sweetheart, and I know we'll be happy with her for years to come.
    If your coice is between the lab or retriever, you can't make a bad decision choosing between the two. But if you have your heart set on the retriever, wait to see if the rescue shelter gives you a call.
    just my worthless .02
    Chris

miller19j
    superdave013:
    1stepcloser:
    Go with the dogs from the shelter. They will be great pets, and you will be doing them a great service. Ditto! I couldn’t agree with this more! I am glad to see that so many other people think this way!

ROZ
    1stepcloser:
    the second is australian shepherd. My parents have a pair of them. Great dogs.

Hotcrusader76
    3 votes for the shelter. My father got one there and has always been pleased with doing them a favor.
    ~Ty

DogHouse
    Roz, I've always thought of Goldens as long-haired labs! Very similar dispositions, nice as can be.
    Both of ours were freebies, one a stray that wandered into a friend's house (no tags, very skinny, had been in the desert for a while), and one that the owner had to give up because he couldn't keep her anymore.
    -brian

25Elmn8r
    I have to say the Shepherd mix. I have a 12 year old Shepherd/Collie mix that my wife saved from the pound and has been the best dog ever. She has been a great watch dog, very protective of my kids and wife. She will not leave your side or the property. We have accidentaly left her out front overnight and she slept on the front porch. As far as jumping up, you can fix that easily. A close second would be the Lab. I have a black lab about 3 years old. He is a great dog also, but requires so much attention. No matter how much attention you give him he doesn't think it is enough. And he DIGS! He is a very sweet dog, but doesn't realize how big he is. My youngest gets knocked around a bit when they are playing.

MJ19
    I think if you have a family of small children the rottie dog might be too much and knock your kids over with excitement a little too often. Sounds like if he's wanting to be a lap dog, he may not realize their are little people in the room that can't hold a big dog up.
    I think the lab pup or holding out for your golden rescue would be a nice family dog that could grow with you and your family. I'm glad to hear you're looking for a rescue pup or dog, they are the best ever!!! After a year of age, you will really need to spend LOTS of time training certain aspects in or out of a dog you choose. (keep that in mind) After about a year they have certain habits that may or may not be the greatest...for example, we adopted a border collie at the age of 5 months and because he had spent most of those 5 months in a kennel he was REALLY tricky to potty train...took almost a year, and he's still not 100% able to be in the house alone.
    Larger dogs are tougher on the boats, because their nails are larger and stronger, they tend to scratch the gel/paint and can tear seats. All dog nails are capable of damage, but if they are a calm breed and not hyper then it is easier to train "boat behavor". Excited & goofy but loveable dogs on a boat would be a mess and a headache in all honesty. That would cause a lot of frustration and the dog would be an innocent victim.
    As much as I love our goofy dog (border collie), he would not do well on the boat, however our other dogs (tibetan terrier & Golden X) would be great on the boat they are capable of settling down and relaxing, unlike the border collie who's on a constant "GO"
    Back to the various pups you have mentioned. I think if you have the time to put into training then the two litter mates would be nice. However...having litter mates is really tough & tricky, because they bond to each other and not their human family as well as they would if they were single dogs. If you get litter mates you would want to take them on separate walks, different training classes, giving them alone time to bond and respect the family members, etc...keeping them together and separate at various times until later when they've bonded to the family and have accepted everyone as part of the pack so to say.
    Many people get litter mates thinking that they'll have eachother and won't be bored in the back yard, that is not a good reason to get litter mates..if you do not have the time to give them separate training, they can be twice the pain in your rear later down the road.
    Well there is my 2 cents...hope it's helpful.
    a good place to get LOTS of advice from dog lovers, trainers, vets, etc is Great Pets Web Site...Click Here
    There is great training advice, choosing a pup advice, breed advice, etc...etc...etc... you name it if it's about dogs, they talk about it on their threads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast