Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Potty training a puppy?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Anyone have any magic or miracle ways of potty training a pup?
    HELP!!!!! :cry:

Eliminator 4 Life
    Get a crate when she has to go she will cry then take her outside

Lightning
    Do you have a crate at home?

Keyser
    I made sure to take them out about every 2 hours when i first brought them home, took them to the same spot everytime and made a big deal about it when they did their business. I have found out and had almost every dog trainer tell me praise always works over over punishment. All a dog wants to do is please you and if you really show your happy it will help them to try and do it every time!!! ood luck and what kind of puppy do you have!!

78Eliminator
    Anyone have any magic or miracle ways of potty training a pup?
    HELP!!!!! :cry:
    Keep him/her on a leash all day with you. Take him/her out very often. Every time they eat or drink you have to take them out. Should take you about a month or two and then you can get your carpet cleaned. Anyone who tells you to hit the dog or rub his nose in it is a complete idiot. Just say "No" when they start to go in the house and then take them outside. When they do go outside, praise them like they just discovered the cure for cancer. If they go in the house, take the "mess" and place it in the yard. Take them out to the same place every time so they can see and smell that that's where they go. That's basically it.
    If you leave the dog inside at home all day, it's going to take you a very long time to train the dog. How would you like to hold it for over 8 hours a day? If you must, you can buy pee pads at the pet store and teach them to go in the house on those. But like I said, only way to really be successful is to be with them all the time for the first couple months. As the pup matures, so does the bladder and the ability to hold it. Good luck!

NOTALENT
    You still havent trained jason...????? :crossx:

Flashover
    I made sure to take them out about every 2 hours when i first brought them home, took them to the same spot everytime and made a big deal about it when they did their business. I have found out and had almost every dog trainer tell me praise always works over over punishment. All a dog wants to do is please you and if you really show your happy it will help them to try and do it every time!!! ood luck and what kind of puppy do you have!!
    Bingo!!!! this is exactly how you do it. it works like a charm.. :crossx: :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
    You still havent trained jason...????? :crossx:
    That's classic...
    I hear the cherrios in the toilet help when potty training boys. (Gives us a target, it's kind of fun.)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Its just not possible to with her all the time for the first couple of months since my husband and I have those pesky jobs. :rollside: Over the weekend we would take her outside and do the whole praise thing and all but we cannot do that during the week. We have another dog already who hangs out in the house allday and goes outside when she needs too. The little one just isn't grasping that idea. And then this morning, I took her out, she pee'd, yay, good dog and then 15 minutes later while I was in the shower, she pee'd on the carpet again. :cry: I know she just has to learn but its very frustrating. And look how cute she is too.......
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...G_0017-med.JPG

2Driver
    Exactly, the trick is to find out when he has to go (after food, water, every hour etc.) take him where you want him to go. It's slow go at first but pays off.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast