Thread: Too Much Noise

cdauph99
    Got caught making too much noise on the lake. Does anyone remember a performance exaust setup that mounted to the exterior of the thru hull exaust bell and had stackable spacers to tune the eaust back pressure and noise. Spoke to the manufacturer and they said that they offer no solution as the motor needs to flow free. I have a 440hp 502. I need to quiet it down some without wrecking the perofrmance. Can anyone help? cry

Jungle Boy
    I have a friend that has some removeable "Borla" tips. Don't know if they are adaptable for your needs, but you can try.

jlnorthrup122
    Silent choice my friend silent choice!!

cdauph99
    how does the Silent Choice work? my exaust currently exits under the swim platform?

wsm9808
    That sounds like the old Super Trap silencers, they had plates you could stack to reduce noise, but I dont think they ever really caught on because they killed a lot of power too.

jlnorthrup122
    Well silent choice would need to protrude the hull a bit. but on the end there is a valve live the choke on a carb and when you close the valve (usually hydrolic setup) the exaust exits through a section on the bottom half of the pipe that acts like a muffler!!!

burbanite
    Check your local regulations, Silent Choice/Captains Call type systems may well be illegal there as they are in many parts of the country.

dorC
    CMI has a set of clamp on mufflers. $550 list and you can get something off of that.

dyam
    Rex has a set of mufflers that slip into the exhaust tips. Supposed to lose about 100 rpm.
    I am using them and they take the hard bark out of the exhaust but its still kind of loud when I'm on it. Depends on how much you want to quiet the motor. I think supertrapps are still available. I used them on a boat with OTs and they will quiet the motor as much as you want but as stated before, performance does suffer. But they are adjustable so thats a plus.
    Hope this helps.

cdauph99
    Talked to a guy at Imco yesterday, they have a set of flanged mufflers that will not affect performance but will quiet it down dramaticly. His claim was that it would sound like it was coming through the out drive. I don't know if I want it that quiet but I may not have alot of choices. Whats the point of running this engine if it sounds like a 4 cylinder stock motor