Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's my problem?

Waldo
    Okay, here is a question regarding my clutch/tranny/torque converter/whatever???. I have a 1998 Ford F-150, 4.6L Triton motor, standard 4spd auto tranny w/od and only 51K miles on it.
    I was at Lake Perris Saturday playing around in our new Carrera 202XR (about 3000lbs) and it came time for us leave. As I was pulling the boat out of the water on the semi-steep ramp, my truck sounded like it was experiencing some kind of "slipping". The rpm's would increase but my truck's speed was still very slow paced. I am pretty sure it wasn't wheelspin as I am familiar with the sound sound and feel of it. I haven't had any problems in the past towing boats or other smaller PWC trailers. What do you all think it might be?
    P.S. I just had a company flush out the old tranny fluid and replace with new...don't know if this makes any difference.
    Thanks in advance!

rivercrazy
    Did they put enough fluid back in it?

Blown 472
    Was the fluid burnt?? if so by changing the burnt stuff to new will bring problems, my buddy is a ford mech and told me that if the fluid is burnt you are better off leaving it and adding to it rather than changing.

Waldo
    They didn't tell me if it was burnt or not. However, they did say they put in 12.5 quarts of new.

Dyce51
    well factory specs say 13 quarts + or - a little bit but they do say it must be MERCON V tranny fluid.Were you in low gear like first gear? That would cause high rpm but low real low wheel speed.. but that is fine
    [ March 10, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Dyce51 ]

STV_Keith
    Can you replicate the problem anywhere else? If so, see if it's different between "drive" 1st gear and manually selected 1st gear.

Waldo
    Thanks guys, I haven't experienced it any other time. Also, I manually put it in 2nd gear. And Mercron 5 was used. I'll see what happens this next weekend if we go out.

h2oski2fast
    Simple! It's a Ford.

h2oski2fast
    Sorry I couldn't help myself

OOfatso
    h2oski2fast:
    Sorry I couldn't help myself Wow!!!
    A lot of the guy's that I work woth are Ford boys through and through!!! Those are fighting words to them!!!!
    "OO"fatso

P.S..... Notice the avatar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast