Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First boat purchase

fatalbert
    Haven't been boating in 25 years; time to get the pre-teenagers out to enjoy the Parker Strip and Havasu. Looking at a 26' SleekCraft Ambassador, 1978. Just looking for general opinions or experiences with SleekCrafts. 350 mag, volvo 280 outdrive, very clean for an older boat.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    srs

Jordy
    Can you get any pics of it to post on here? What kind of $$$? What kind of hours? Fresh water? Salt water? Details, details, details.
    Welcome aboard by the way.

miller19j
    As Jordy so eloquently put it, Details..Details .Show us some pictures if you have some
    Welcome to the boards!
    [ January 31, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

fatalbert
    Thanks for the welcome. No pics, but it can be seen at theboatbroker.com web site; Looked at it two weekends ago, ugly 1978 paid job that will need to be changed, but boat looks extremely clean for 1978; salesman could not give me hours and I would guess it is on consignment. Probably going to take for a test run on the lake in a weekend or two; seat interior is great, carpet needs to be replaced; No scratches, dings, just faded ugly paint on top, sides and bottom are smooth and shiney; could see no sign of any fiberglass and/or paint work anywhere; Asking prices is $7,900.00, which from my looking around appears a few grand too high.
    I've been switching back and forth between a used Omega, around 21' bow rider or the SleekCraft form. I know they are two completely different styles, but I think I'm settled on the SleekCraft for all around sking, fishing, cruising, camping,etc.
    Some of my friends are telling me that it's too big for the Parker Strip or running from Havasu to Laughlin; others tell me that's bull-puckey and I'll enjoy the bigger boat (bigger than the Omega), especially when the water starts geting a little busy and rough.
    That's what I know at this point, sorry for not have more info for you, and I appreciate any thoughts you have for this newbie.
    Finally, the last time I went boating was on the Snake River in Washington State in my dad's 1959 Reinell, 15 1/2' with a Merc 78 on the back. Wanting to do a little more for my girls without going into debt.
    thanks again.
    srs

Jordy
    Is this the one?

fatalbert
    That's the one!
    srs

Jordy
    Off the top of my head that seems a bit high for what it is considering the work that needs to be done to it. Right now, in most regular weather years is the time to pick up good deals on boats... January is usually the best time as it should be cold and the boats are just sitting on the side of the house or in the carport not being used. Once it starts warming up it turns into a seller's market until the next December or January.

fatalbert
    Thanks for the input tonight. Time to call it a day. Thanks again for the welcome to the forums and your input. And yes, I wish I could find a 454 or 455 without a jet, but it appears that SleekCraft only put big blocks with a jet, and the small block with the prop. You will see my ignorance on boats with this questions, but how easy is an upgrade from small block to big block in the boating world (I can turn wrenches pretty good and make most any small block chevy run just fine.
    Again, thanks!
    srs

Sangster
    Ok....Is it FAT-ALBERT ..Or..FATAL-BERT....

NEW 2 RIVER
    26 ft is probably about the right size boat needed on a typical weekend at havasu.As far as the Laughlin area I have seen many a small boat(mine) find problems just as well as a 25 fter.Take it from me.I have a 19 ft.You will be happier in the long term on the choice of the bigger boat versus the Omega.I strongly question the price.The thing that may be of concern or not is in the picture it looks like the outdrive is receiving a little assistance from a strap to hold it up.(cant be sure).If thats the case keep in mind any repairs needed there could get costly.The interior lay out of that boat is definitely a plus and the kids and wife will definitely enjoy the cabin.
    good luck and hope to see you out on the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast