Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AZ. Tax Attorney / Havasu Deliveries

Havasu Cig
    I have been fighting with the state of Arizona over a tax issue on my last boat that was purchased 4 years ago and need to talk to a tax attorney in AZ if anybody knows a good one?
    I talked to an accountant in Phoenix that has been very helpful, but I would like to get a second opinion from an attorney before I write the check. Any names / numbers of a good attorney would be appreciated.
    BTW, For those thinking about taking delivery of a boat in Havasu instead of California to save on tax might as well forget it. Havasu charges an additional 2% on top of the state tax which brings the rate to just about the same as California. I don't know how long the tax in Havasu has been at 2% but I am working on finding out (I would think it would be recent otherwise I would not have done my other deliveries there). If I would have known this at the time it would have been easier (and cheaper) to take delivery in California.
    The accountant I talked to was very knowledgable and actually knew the name of the person I have been dealing with in Arizona prior to me even mentioning it. He said she is aggresively trying to collect any taxes they feel they can get.

ChumpChange
    I don't know how long the tax in Havasu has been at 2% but I am working on finding out (I would think it would be recent otherwise I would not have done my other deliveries there). If I would have known this at the time it would have been easier (and cheaper) to take delivery in California.
    It was this way when I took delivery of mine back in Jan '04.
    It's not necessarily the sales tax savings, it is the savings by not having to pay luxury tax year after year.
    For resale, it is also better to have it outside of California. That way, when a potential buyer tries to bring you down on your price, you just tell him you're already saving him some 8% since it's registered in AZ.

Havasu Cig
    There is no luxury tax in California anymore, but I have heard of them trying to collect unsecured property tax so that does make sense. As far as re-sale, whatever state you sell the boat in is what tax laws you have to follow. In Arizona there is no sales tax on private party sales, but you can take a boat registered in California and still sell it in Arizona (or take delivery in Arizona) and avoid sales tax.
    Thanks for the info on the tax rate. When I took delivery of my DCB there in 2001 I don't think it was 2% otherwise I would not have payed the delivery fee with the difference in tax being 7.75 for California and 7.6 in Havasu. The transaction I am fighting them on took place in early 02.

al cole'holic
    ...dude, you live in San Diego and took delivery of a DCB in Havasu?? That unsecured tax bill was on time every year

Havasu Cig
    We have a house in Havasu and that is the only place the boat was used. California wrote us a letter regarding the boat but once I produced documents from delivery and from our house they dropped it. I am not so sure it matters much now though if you take delivery in Havasu or in California.
    As a matter of fact Arizona has been a$$holes about this whole deal even though I have cooperated with them when I did not have too. They want penalties, interest etc... and I have it from a reliable source that California would not do this in the same situation. The CPA I talked to in AZ says coming after me for penalties is BS.

Havasu Cig
    No one knows any tax attorneys in AZ that know anything about this subject? The ones I talked to in AZ don't really know much about it.

TUNNEL T
    thanks for the heads up! bought dcb also ,trying to figure all this shit out, doesn't make a whole lotta dif when your talking only a few dollars vs the major headache! thanks TUNNEL T

Focker
    No one knows any tax attorneys in AZ that know anything about this subject? The ones I talked to in AZ don't really know much about it.
    HOW MUCH ARE YOU TALKING
    ATTORNEYS FEES WILL JUST ADD TO YOUR PAIN

Havasu Cig
    HOW MUCH ARE YOU TALKING
    ATTORNEYS FEES WILL JUST ADD TO YOUR PAIN
    North of 20k without penalties, closer to 30k with.

the_gray_goose
    BTW, For those thinking about taking delivery of a boat in Havasu instead of California to save on tax might as well forget it. Havasu charges an additional 2% on top of the state tax which brings the rate to just about the same as California. I don't know how long the tax in Havasu has been at 2% but I am working on finding out (I would think it would be recent otherwise I would not have done my other deliveries there). If I would have known this at the time it would have been easier (and cheaper) to take delivery in California.
    Anyone taking delivery in AZ should consider using a Parker AZ address.
    The Tax rate is about 3 to4% less down there compaired to Havasu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast