Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: can't sleep

502procharger
    For the last 3 or 4 weeks i just can't sleep. Other than kicking one out and taking Valium is there any good tricks out there to make me sleep? I finally get to sleep at like 4am. It is getting old. I am tired, i just can't sleep. Any advice?

Tom Brown
    Masturbate.

WILDERTHANU54
    LMFAO!!!

502procharger
    that is what i was talking about when i said "kicking one out" My shit is turning purple trying to get to sleep!!! jawdrop
    [ March 24, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

Tom Brown
    Have you tried kicking two out?

502procharger
    it takes alot more than one to get PURPLE.

Tom Brown
    If the body gets sufficiently fatigued, a natural response is adrenaline. This is what some people know as being over tired.
    I get like this often. I find that going for a walk helps. I know it's cliche but I've often gone for a 10-15 minute walk late at night. It doesn't take much. When I get home, I don't necessarily feel that tired but I go straight to bed. It pretty much always works. You may want to try it.
    I feel bad for you. It can be a serious problem that really impacts quality of life.
    -- Tom
    [ March 24, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

DogHouse
    Usually if I can't sleep it's because I'm thinking or worried about something and my mind just won't shut down for the night. In that case I go lay down on the couch with the tv on really low. The distraction takes my mind off whatever it was I was thinking about and boom, zzzzzzzz... sleeping

MJ19
    Well I won't comment on the kicking of anything out wink
    ...but I will give some suggestions as listed in my medical book:
    Make note, these are not may words, they are straigh from my healthy mind healthy body book
    Skip the stimulants:
    Caffeine, medications, alcohol, nicotine, etc...
    Skip the sleeping pills...they will only prolong the problem. Use only on a one time basis.
    Heavy meals before bedtime is a no-no, but a light carb snack (ie cookies, toast) can actually help you sleep (increases brain serotonin, chem that triggers sleep)
    a 20 minute nap is encouraged in the mid-afternoon.
    decrease amount of fluids the hours before bedtime, reduces full blatter wake up call.
    exercise can help you sleep better.
    comfortable bed in a dark, quiet, and cool room is the best setting for good sleep (between 65-70 degrees)
    wake up at the same time of the day regardless of what day it is, you need to set your bio clock, this way it will begin to know what time it needs to go to sleep...takes a few weeks before a rutine is set.
    during those few weeks, set a bedtime and stick to it. Do not go to bed any earlier then the allowed hours needed...ie: if you need 8 hours of sleep and you are waking up at 6am...do not go to bed before 10pm at night.
    If you do not fall asleep within 30 minutes, then get up wait another 30 minutes and try again.
    You may not like this one wink ONLY use your bed for sleeping. Do not read, watch tv, etc in bed, only get into bed when you are ready to sleep (your body will adjust to the rutine and will eventually realize that when you get into bed it tiggers sleep is next to come.
    All of these things are to reset your internal sleep clock.
    Do not force yourself to sleep, the harder you try the longer you'll stay awake. Instead focus on some relaxing breathing exercises.
    If you're organized keep a sleep log. If your insomnia persists for six months or is seriously affecting your daytime functioning (job, relationships, etc) seek professional help.
    There you have it, those are some suggestions I have found for the time being...I will post some links in a while.
    Sweet Dreams!!!

502procharger
    mj19
    you are the shizznit. i will try some of those things. thanks. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast