Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion of small truck......please

Mandelon
    I'm looking to pick up a pick up! I need a small mini-truck. 2000-2001 model.
    I'm looking at either a Tacoma or a Ranger. The Toyotas are going to be more expensive. But the Rangers are pretty dependable nowadays too.
    I've already got a big truck, but the 460 sucks too much gas for general driving. I do a lot of estimates and checking on jobs, so I'm driving several days a week. Paying $400 a month in gas alone, on the F250. Only goin to get worse!!
    Which one?
    [ February 26, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Kilrtoy
    Toyota's suck for towing, but since you want a commuter truck, toyota is very reliable and all over Ford. Ford is far below the quality of a toyota , but still above a chevy.

HavasuDreamin'
    Toyota will last longer than Ford. I hate to say it but it is true. Good Luck

hot_diggity_dog
    Mandelon,
    A couple of guy's are driving Toyota's in our company and they all complain that they get bad gas mileage.
    Have you thought about a full size F-150 with a V-6? They have good power and get great mileage. Pretty cheap if you get a stick too.
    HDD

Mandelon
    I want to get the max mileage possible. Don't need many frills. AC is about it. My F-250 tows fine and has all the options..I'll be keeping it.
    I had a ranger before, 97 XLT Extended cab. I thought it was great. I have 96 Toyota that one of my guys drives, but its beat. It runs alright after 125,000 mi.
    I just need a runaround truck.
    [ February 26, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Sleek-Jet
    Three words... Diesel Rabbit Pick-up.

[ February 26, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Jordy
    Not to point out the obvious here, but if you're paying $400 a month for gas on the big truck, is it really going to be cheaper to by another truck that's only a couple years old and cover a payment, insurance and gas for it? I'm guessing you'll run far over that $400 mark pretty easy. Besides, no matter what you do, it's tax deductable anyway. Mileage, fuel, insurance, etc. Just a thought.

superV
    On the subject of toyota has anyone ever tow with a 4 Runner V6 1991 or newer? Looking at one with 100,000 miles never towed with and very clean... But need to tow 3500lbs...

rivercrazy
    I've towed boats of that weight (3,500lbs) with Toyota 4 cyl motors. They do fine. Just make sure its a stick instead of automatic. The V6 will pull it great.

Catmando
    jordanpaulk:
    Not to point out the obvious here, but if you're paying $400 a month for gas on the big truck, is it really going to be cheaper to by another truck that's only a couple years old and cover a payment, insurance and gas for it? I'm guessing you'll run far over that $400 mark pretty easy. Besides, no matter what you do, it's tax deductable anyway. Mileage, fuel, insurance, etc. Just a thought. What he said.
    I own a 1998 Ranger Supercab, 4.0 V6, 5 speed automatic with 500lb. towing pkg. i love the truck, rarely use 1st gear unless I'm towing. I shift a lot in town so that 1st gear doesn't kick in and spike the RPM, hard on the tranny, fun truck to drive that way.
    Problem is I only get about 14-15MPG in town and 17 hwy. The F150 would be the better choice IMO IF you have to have another truck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast