Thread: Volunteer Fire Fighters

Kindsvater Flat
    If any of you are I'm sure you are aware of the bill they past. Do any of you know how you are going to pull off the 600-800 hrs of training per person per year?
    Thats like 80 ten hour days or 160 four hour nights. Whats your take on this?

Kurtis500
    Volunteer?? Thats about 11-14 hours a week. I dont think your going to find many people to do that. Especially when they have another job and family to deal with. I work full-time and dont drill that much..usually

Kindsvater Flat
    Kurtis500:
    Volunteer?? Thats about 11-14 hours a week. I dont think your going to find many people to do that. Especially when they have another job and family to deal with. I work full-time and dont drill that much..usually Well you're damn lucky. As of Jan 1 2004 we have to abide to osha's regulations as if we were full time state employees. I think as of Dec 31 2003 I will resign as being a volunteer fire chief. I don't want the responsibility of the hefty fines if a member has an accident. The zero pay isn't worth it. I enjoy helping our community but this is nuts. To me this is another way Gray Davis wants to oust the volunteers and turn it into a staffed CDF station. Guess what then? Higher taxes to support full time employees.

Mandelon
    And more Union votes he can trade expensive benefits for. devil
    Davis is an out and out cheating backroom deal maker, but he does right out front! The liberal press barely makes any note of it. I guess they don't care if California goes to hell.

Mandelon
    I just read that a bill is making its way though legislation that will require all employers in Calif who don't provide health insurance will instead have to pay $1500 to $5000 a year per employee to the state instead so they can provide coverage to everyone.
    If that passes, say good bye to small business for sure. Or else your Big Macs will cost $8.00 each and getting your house painted will be $10,000!!!!

Afrack Vargas
    ******STOP!!!!!!!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!!*********
    Hey there everyone, sorry to intrude, but I must clarify something here for volunteer firefighters:
    NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO QUITE BECAUSE OF THE NEW LAW!!!!!!
    I work as a lobbyist for the California State Firefighters' Association in Sacramento. The CSFA represents both volunteer and career firefighters at the state capitol. To be totally honest with you, CSFA sponsored the law to require vols to comply with OSHA. The truth of the matter is that there are some really bad departments out there putting their firefighters at undue risk. Volunteers felt that this law was needed to make sure that all firefighters were safe.
    Here is the deal:
    1. Yes, it reqiures vols to comply with OSHA. Having said that, you should know that it is a state mandate, therefore depts would qualify for reimbursement. Obviously, right now with the current budget, nobody is getting reimbursed for anything. There is a State Supreme Court decision that says that if you do not reimburse a vol dept for a state mandate, THE DEPARTMENT DOES NOT HAVE TO COMPLY.
    2. TRAINING: Will not change at all!
    As you guys well know, current training standards for your departments are up to you the department locally. This does not change. There are no new requirements. 800 hours of training are total Bu*% Sh@!
    Please call me to make sure that you understand: 916.446.9880 or AVargas@CSFA.net

eliminatedsprinter
    Mandelon:
    I just read that a bill is making its way though legislation that will require all employers in Calif who don't provide health insurance will instead have to pay $1500 to $5000 a year per employee to the state instead so they can provide coverage to everyone.
    If that passes, say good bye to small business for sure. Or else your Big Macs will cost $8.00 each and getting your house painted will be $10,000!!!! They have studied ther demographics. Most small (and large biz) owners are republicans. Most out of work people, on welfare, who vote, vote democrat. When businesses leave they say good ridence. More votes for us and less for them. burningm

eliminatedsprinter
    Afrack Vargas:
    ******STOP!!!!!!!!!!READ!!!!!!!!!!*********
    Hey there everyone, sorry to intrude, but I must clarify something here for volunteer firefighters:
    NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO QUITE BECAUSE OF THE NEW LAW!!!!!!
    I work as a lobbyist for the California State Firefighters' Association in Sacramento. The CSFA represents both volunteer and career firefighters at the state capitol. To be totally honest with you, CSFA sponsored the law to require vols to comply with OSHA. The truth of the matter is that there are some really bad departments out there putting their firefighters at undue risk. Volunteers felt that this law was needed to make sure that all firefighters were safe.
    Here is the deal:
    1. Yes, it reqiures vols to comply with OSHA. Having said that, you should know that it is a state mandate, therefore depts would qualify for reimbursement. Obviously, right now with the current budget, nobody is getting reimbursed for anything. There is a State Supreme Court decision that says that if you do not reimburse a vol dept for a state mandate, THE DEPARTMENT DOES NOT HAVE TO COMPLY.
    2. TRAINING: Will not change at all!
    As you guys well know, current training standards for your departments are up to you the department locally. This does not change. There are no new requirements. 800 hours of training are total Bu*% Sh@!
    Please call me to make sure that you understand: 916.446.9880 or AVargas@CSFA.net Brought this one back down to get it back on subject and not to be part of a thred hijack.