Thread: Back to basics

AZKC
    Just a few ?'s to see if I'm headin down the right road.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What are ya using to clean blocks after hot tanking? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What kind of prepping before painting? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is using Rustoleum/Glyptal paint on internal surfaces of the block good or just for looks? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How crazy do you go on deburring or is that also over kill?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KC
    Or I guess I could have edited it
    [ November 21, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

AZKC
    Just a few ?'s to see if I'm headin down the right road.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What are ya using to clean blocks after hot tanking? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What kind of prepping before painting? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is using Rustoleum/Glyptal paint on internal surfaces of the block good or just for looks? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How crazy do you go on deburring or is that also over kill?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KC
    Sorry had to fix it....

Craig
    I've always used warm water and dish soap along with some bottle brushes to clean the block prior to assembly. After washing, blow it dry with compressed air and give the machined surfaces a light coat of oil.
    Prior to painting, give it a light wipe down with laquer thinner or acetone.
    Anything that helps the oil get back into the pan quicker can't hurt.
    I've always deburred the excess flashing that you typically see around the drain holes inside the lifter valley. You don't want to go too crazy with the die grinder eek!
    Craig

Hotcrusader76
    I find it best to tap off the water heater in your garage for the hot water. Just becareful not to burn yourself.
    Just my 0.02

HammerDown
    Agree with the above...Acetone is great to wipe down where ya may touch the block with your fingers or remove some oil befor spraying...also I've tapped the hot water heater with a hose to do a wash down out side.
    After having a block machined I always remove all the plugs...and scrub the oil passages with a gun cleaning kit and soap with hot water. Works great!

AZKC
    Sounds good. I picked up some block cleaning brushes from Mr Gasket for like $18. The hot water heater needs draining anyway I'll try that.
    Thanks
    KC
    [ November 21, 2002, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

396_Z
    I use the hot water/dish soap cleaning myself. Do it in every passage and any spot where particles may have stuck.
    When I whip out the die grinder not only do I take off the casting flash but I tend to radius the oil drainback holes slightly. Only enough to help with drain back

GofastRacer
    396_Z:
    I use the hot water/dish soap cleaning myself. Do it in every passage and any spot where particles may have stuck.
    When I whip out the die grinder not only do I take off the casting flash but I tend to radius the oil drainback holes slightly. Only enough to help with drain backI use "Super Clean" for the rough and "Simple Green" for the final, works bithin!!!.. wink BTW, your parts are on the way!!.... wink