Thread: Lake Powel gives PWCs permanent access

beached 1
    Even you PWChaters got to like this. If we keep banning them from our waterways, then your favorite boating spot will will keep getting more crowded. Then, when they are gone, they (The Enviro Nazis and Liberal gov) will come after your boat.
    Park managers completed the required environmental assessment (EA), and released a Draft PWC Rule on January 17, 2003.
    The Draft Rule contains provisions that will allow for permanent access for PWC at Lake Powell. Here is a summary of the proposed restrictions on PWC use at Lake Powell under the draft rule:
    · 24 miles of the Colorado river closed to PWC upstream from Sheep Canyon;
    · No PWC use on the Dirty Devil River upstream from that point where measurable downstream current is encountered;
    · No PWC use on the Escalante River above the confluence of Coyote Creek and on the San Juan River upstream of the Clay Hills pullout;
    · No PWC use on the Colorado River between Glen Canyon Dam and the downstream river boundary of Glen Canyon NRA.
    In summary, the rule only prohibits PWC use in a tiny fraction of the lakes waterways, and the American Watercraft Association is supporting the Draft Rule.

DEEZ NUTTS
    Guess I'll have to put a new starter in the stand up. Best trail riding ever on Powell.

PowellScooter
    Hang on fellows, NOTHING is written yet. The new draft now has to have an environmental impact study done on it. This is a many step process, at bare minimum we are looking 90 days before anything comes of it. But I agree if we let jet-skis get banned, next on the list are larger boats. Think about it, govt starts out taking something small then a precident is set, then its all about no more whatever they want to grab....

beached 1
    PowellScooter:
    Hang on fellows, NOTHING is written yet. The new draft now has to have an environmental impact study done on it. This is a many step process, at bare minimum we are looking 90 days before anything comes of it. But I agree if we let jet-skis get banned, next on the list are larger boats. Think about it, govt starts out taking something small then a precident is set, then its all about no more whatever they want to grab.... You may know more about this than I do, So I might have missed something. I didn't see any mention of an additional environmental study. I was under the impression that that what was holding up PWC use in Powel.
    Anyway, there is a 60 day comment period where we can voice our opinion with the Nation Park service. Here is the link.
    http://capwiz.com/water/mail/compose/