Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Have's On A Boat...Per Coast Gurard Req.

NOTALENT
    So after reading Karls thread, I thought this could be a good refresher....What item's are required to be on a boat at all times......Other then women, beer, beads, beer bongs, pasties etc... 3 Please add to the list...its hard to think today...Havasu is the only thing on my mind.... :crossx:
    1. Fire Extinguisher
    2. Air Horn
    3. First Aid Kit
    4. Live Vests (one per person on the boat)

phebus
    Throw cushion

Dave C
    blender, plenty of ice.

BADBLOWN572
    Two fire extinguishers if boat is over 25'. Also need a paddle.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Arizona Game and Fish regulations. (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...ating_laws.pdf) Granted it is dated 2005 but I'm sure it is still relevant.
    USCG equipment regulations. (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equipment.htm)
    USCG quick reference guide for required equipment (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fe...u_refchart.htm)

Hardly Satisfied
    you need a oar

Less than 39 foot you can have a whistle or horn.

Havasu Luvr
    Last year I allowed the U.S. Coast Guard to board my vessel for a curtesy inspection. I was made aware of a few things I did not know about coastal waters and the length of my vessel. If I remember correctly for a 25'+ vessel navagating outside of harbors I needed a few extra items and a few recommended items... such as
    bailing bucket, battery post protectors, first aid, communication, signaling device, hailing device, some kind of Coast Guard form containing information of disposing items into the ocean blue, 2 fire ext.
    It's always good to know these things.... They will put a inspection sticker on the helm side so other US Coast Guards vessel can see that your vessel and captain has complied. I ask why on the helm side and they informed me that all vessel's of authority will approach on the port side and the sticker will be visable on the helm on the starboard side. Something else I did not know.....this is good :rollside:

LakeRacer
    Throw cushion It's a type iv throwable and it doesn't need to be a cushion. It could be a floating ring...although I don't think I'd want one of those on my boat. As long as it is CG approved.
    Speaking of easily accessible. Your definition and the LE's definition might be two different things. Something to think about. Especially for the safety of you and your passengers. In a real emergency, in the heat of the moment, when emotions are running high as well as the adrenalin, how easy will it be to get to the life vests and/or the throwable???

HYPNAUTIC
    almost all of us here carry an air horn but rarely test them before/ during the season. as a precaution i also carry a whistle. worth the $2-3 in my opinion. and worth alot more if stoped by LE doing a safety check and finding a dead airhorn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast