Thread: Ford Wiring Question ??

Hallett19
    I know its the sandbar, but more traffic increases my chances of finding out what I need. I have a 2000 expedition with a 5.4 and I need to know which wire would give me an 02 reading off the 02 sensor for an air fuel ratio guage.

If you insist on having one of those essentially useless air/fuel gauges, it should use its own sensor. Tapping into the existing sensor will put a load on the circuit that could influence the reading that the ECM sees, upsetting system operation.

Hallett19
    you are ALL OVER me today olds !!! how much are you charging ? Will it really mess it up that bad ? I had one on my mustang and I never noticed anything, from what I understand it just takes a reading of the voltage the 02 sensor gives off, other than that the guage has its own power and ground, its basically an volt meter that measures with fancy lights instead of number to tell you where your motor is running. I got the guage for free, I'm putting that and a trans temp in the center console of the Ex.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/128P8180106-med.JPG[/img]
    I know, I know, I hacked the piece, but I ordered a tilted bezel to cover it up .....
    [ August 18, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

As a tech, I know how they work and that they can cause problems. The newer the vehicle, the more I would avoid using it. One of the kids at work had one on a mid 90's Honda. When he needed it smogged, it failed. Disconnected the gauge and it passed. Good enough indication to me that it can upset the reading seen by the ECU.

Hallett19
    hmmmmm..... son of a bitch, maybe I should just go get the trans temp guage and forget about that air/fuel. They look so cool though with all those bouncing lights

Hallett19
    how can I find out if it messes it up or not ? oh, do you know the color of the wire wink
    [ August 18, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]