Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is HTM sueing L.A. county?

sandblasted
    Read this in the L.A. Daily News today:
    Article claims HTM is sueing the county because they allowed high speed testing at Castaic Lake. The basis for the lawsuit seems to be that since HTM is being sued by the estate of one of the deceased boaters then L.A. county should pick up the tab if HTM loses since the county allowed it to happen..
    I just love these quotes from the lawyer for HTM..
    "If HTM Corporation is held liable then the county is liable to us" said Neil Klein of the law firm for HTM. "The county encouraged these high speed tests of extremely fast boats on the water".
    So let me get this strait...Steve Coulumbe designed a boat to go extremely fast (some say it hit 130 mph the day before the accident)Steve then built the boat to go extremely fast and Steve was at the throttles when the accident occurred (according to county investigators).
    so why is the county responsible? Because they have deep pockets? There is nothing the county did that contributed to this accident. Steve Coulumbe was going to test that boat at high speed anywhere he could. Castaic just happens to be the closest lake to Acton.
    I'm sorry anybody had to die in that accident but I think the fault lies directly with the designer and builder of a boat that obviously failed at what it was suppose to do..Travel at high speeds safely.

NashvilleBound
    I too am sorry anyone died that day but Steve was breaking the rules he was well aware of. What a load of kah-rap. Man I hate lawyers!!! Except mine of course
    [ March 05, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

JetBoatRich
    Does not make sense that HTM has the right to sue. They designed, built and drove the boat? They are at fault, maybe I can sue them for taking my time to write this

mbrown2
    I am sorry for the family's of the one's who lost their family members, but HTM is killing the sport they cater to with this Lawsuit.
    They build high performance cats; this lawsuit will just in turn make it more difficult for anyone to insure these cats, and suing the city is just going to unnecessarily nazi-ize lake enforcement on speed and everything else. If HTM is serious and continuing with this suit, I would never consider them or recommend them as boat to buy to anyone.
    What they are doing is a perfect example of what is wrong with society today and the reason there are so many liar (lawyers..sorry jordy had to steal it), avoiding accountability when you are at FAULT.
    [ March 05, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Hallett19
    Please tell me you didnt see this coming from a mile away, it was only a matter of time before someone sued HTM and I seriously doubt their insurance covers accidents like that, so, pass the puck of resposibility to the county, see if they cant get anything out of them, and you know what, I bet you some bleeding heart jury will find the county at fault for not keeping them from at safer speeds or no speed signs posted, there is always a loophole or a group of damn hippies that will award HTM the case. It is very unfortunate that people died, but unfortunatley people are told they can "sue the shit" out of people in situations like this and they usually win.

unleashed
    Is this really a lawsuit?? If it is and they are succesful in their suit then look for speed limits on every lake in the nation. This could potentially be the downfall of performance boats if this lawsuit is succesful. I think it was horrible that we lost people in the boating world but the responsibility lies with the driver. People have to understand there are always going to be risks going that fast. The responsibility lies with the driver of the boat unless the boat had a proven faulty part that caused the accident.
    Deano
    unleashedclothing devil

77charger
    I think this is why our insurance rates suck!I am sure they knew that they have a 35mph speed limit on castaic and if you are going to go over 100 or even 80 for that matter you are running a risk of getting hurt no matter the boat!Excessive speed and boats can be dangerous!What was sickening was earlier when i had heard about a lawsuit some of the family memebers wer quated as saying that that boat was designed to cruise 45mph and wouldnt go past 65mpf(BS!)then why two HUGE BLOWN MOTORS ? and another said his dad would not go in a boat that was capable of going faster(MORE BS)I feel sorry for the familys loss but when you play to go fast there is an ultimate cost!
    To hold the county responsible is an attorneys way to line his pockets as well as fine someone else to blame besides the actual operators of the boat.I myself know that there are speed limits and do i obey them?NO and if i get injured in the process well i have myself to blame rather than hold the state,chp,local police,etc who failed to issue me a citation.
    Most boats today will break the 35 mph limit and some can easily break 70
    I havent been to castiac in years but i am sure they had signs posting the rules(i havent seen a lake without them)You know them counter clockwise rotation,noise,speed limit,drinking,etc.
    Go ahead and flame me for my thoughts but they are my opinions
    77(is pissed at frivolous lawsuits)charger

DEEZ NUTTS
    No point in owning an HTM now. The thing will be to fast for any lake in a couple of years.
    I guess I'll start to learn more about electric motors now, so as to get a jump on the future of marine high performance. Dont worry the HB crew will get hooked up with my latest solar panels and hopped up golf cart motors.

Bense468
    Lets sue the lawyer for even bringing this to court.

126driver
    Hallett19:
    Please tell me you didnt see this coming from a mile away, it was only a matter of time before someone sued HTM and I seriously doubt their insurance covers accidents like that, so, pass the puck of resposibility to the county, see if they cant get anything out of them, and you know what, I bet you some bleeding heart jury will find the county at fault for not keeping them from at safer speeds or no speed signs posted, there is always a loophole or a group of damn hippies that will award HTM the case. It is very unfortunate that people died, but unfortunatley people are told they can "sue the shit" out of people in situations like this and they usually win. True dat. Sorry to sound like a dick guys, but if anyone is suprised by this they are incredibly, extremely naive. Spill a hot cup of coffee (HELLO! IT'S F'N COFFEE!) on your lap and sue 'cause no one warned you it was that hot. Walk down a supermarket isle and have a litre bottle of Coke break, and you're picking out the color of your new Ferrarri. Until there are MAJOR torte reforms passed, the deep pockets, not the responsible party, will continue to pay. We live in the age of litigation because someone got fat eating too many Big Macs, or because some kid's wacko dad thinks it's offending to say "One Nation, under God."
    Un-effin-real.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast