Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed

Baby Doll
    OK I know this has nothing to do with boats or chicks...BUT I need advice on how to deal with a bully at my kids school. To top it off the bully's Mom is in tight w/ the teachers 'cus she's in PTA. Any help would be appreciated. wink

JetBoatRich
    Two wrongs don't make a right, so I woun't go there.
    Did you say anything to teacher? Go above her head, principle, etc. How old are the kids?

Mandelon
    Put your kid in Karate class and have Mr Yamaguchi teach him how to kick the bully's ass!!!
    or.....
    Let the teacher and principal know if they don't take appropriate steps to have your child protected you will file a lawsuit!!!
    You tell them you want to know what steps will be taken to ensure that the school is a safe and healthy environment......or they will hearing from your lawyer.....
    That's all they understand.

hoolign
    This is a problem in all schools,up here in Albereta they actually passed a bullying law,fines can be imposed!I remember when I was in school and two wrongs did make a right,just depended
    which wrong had a better left hook

Tinkerer
    Speeking from experience-- Teach your kid how to fight and he will get a lot more respect from his clasmates. Just make sure to teach him that it is for self defence only and he will have to deal with you if he uses it for anything else.
    Also it will be GOOD father/son time if both of you learn at the same time.
    Complaining to the higher ups will just get him more of the same.
    [ May 03, 2003, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Tinkerboater ]

CARRERA
    Wax on Wax off.................

mike37
    We had trouble with our son
    Principle would not do any thing said our son must be doing something to instigate
    The bully always had friend to say nothing happened
    At or school both party of a fight get detention
    So I told my son to wait for them to start something when there were teachers in the yard
    Then get into the biggest fight he could
    He did that got Somme attention
    Got detention to both him and the bully
    This happened two times
    The bully decided it was not worth it any more
    Now my son is left alone
    The bullies no he will fight back
    And pleas don’t tell me fighting is bad and IM not a good father
    Somme time you need to stand up and fight or you will get walked all over

396_Z
    Been there done that...
    Take junior down to a good martial arts instructor, explain the situation to him/her. Most good instructors have kids join up all the time for the same reasons, sometimes the same bully. Keep him going at least 3 days a week for a few months. The whole time tell him to keep his mouth shut and his head down.
    In about 3 months he'll know enough to inflict some damage of his own if he gets picked on. Always tell him that he will get in trouble for fighting only if he defends himself in a manner that isn't appropriate (i.e. pushing/shoving instead of what his instructor is teaching)
    About the same time as you son is ready to try handleing things himself tell the school pricipal one last time that if they don't do something your child will.
    When it comes time that the bully feels froggy you son is going to react and probably end up kicking him several times. The school will call you and tell you he's being suspended for fighting. Ask how soon he'll be home and the details of the incident. IF he defended himself appropriately it very important that you sound pleased and ask that he be sent home right away so you guys can go to baskin-robins before the rush.
    Here's the behind the scenes info for all that. Schools know they are responsible for everything that happens to every child from the time they leave their house in the morning to the time they arrive home. If you child gets beat up the school is responsible. Needless to say they don't like fights. However, fighting for the right reasons and to defend themselves is a good thing to teach them, especially boys. What happens when you child is 23, out on a date with a nice woman and some drunk gets fresh with her? Time for him to stand up and be a man is what I say. If that means fighting to defend a lady then I'm all for it and I think it's the right thing to do. The schools would rather they sat around and sang cuum-by-ya.
    In the mean time while your waiting for your child to be ready to take out the bully make one last complaint to the pricipal. The next time anything happens after you complain to the pricipal go down and sit in the superintendants office. I say sit because they will be busy. Wait for them or the assistant super. Complain that the principal is doing nothing and your ready to go to the school board if nothing is done. The next day expect a phone call from the principal. They will tell you not to worry, they will make sure the bully is taken care of. He will be too because you just made the principal look really bad and could have possibly ended the upward direction of their career.
    Trust me on all this, worked like a charm with my former stepson and my mom has been a school secratary for close to 20 years. I know all about how to get action in the public school system.
    [ May 03, 2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: 396_Z ]

bchbum
    My girls are 7 year old twins , so they are a little smaller .They had a bigger kid picking on 1 ,so I told them if they had to get the other one & teach her a lesson . When she saw the 2 of them she backed off .Good teamwork girls !!!

RJ Nordic
    My recommendation is that you make an appointment with the teacher first to discuss the matter. If that doesn't seem to resolve the matter then make an appointment with the Principal. Being prepared ahead of time with specific incidents, dates times, and names that the problems have occured is a great deal of help. If after this things havent changed then notify the Principal that you will be contacting the Superintendent of School for the District, and follow through with the same data. This generally brings about changes/reaction. If not then pen a letter to the President of the School Board and cc the above people.
    Give each step a try so that down the line if you are not getting results, and legal council is needed the courts will look favorably upon your case since you followed procedure and tried to resolve the issue through the proper channels. Good luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast