Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blew the rear end on my Suburban

GunninGopher
    The rear end on my 1990 2wd Suburban 1500 is destroyed and I need to get it replaced, not rebuilt.
    I was thinking it would be cool to make it a dually, but I probably don't want the hassle right now. I won't even be able to make the time to fix it myself so I definitely don't need a project.
    Where could I get a rebuilt rear end for cheap?
    If it did want to go dually, I guess I'd be looking at a new rear end, some fenders and what else? Some springs would make it more legit, I guess.
    I think it would be cool, since you don't see a dually suburban every day. Maybe it would look really sweet slammed, but I don't like lowered trucks, usually.

dragboat
    My wifes gmc now has a compleeeeeeetly rebuilt rear end ....$1300. It had a noise that turned out to be a bearing, it self distructed and took out everything else. If you ever wanted to do the duelly conversion do it now. Check the yards and take your tape measure.

GunninGopher
    I bought this one for 2k in April and it had a weird sort of vibration but it didn't seem serious. Nothing felt loose and I only put about 500 miles a month on it, so I didn't sweat it. I wish I had.

Run_em_Hard
    Changing out the ring and pinion isn't too bad. You might be able to reuse all the shims if they aren't warn too bad. Do it yourself and your looking at about 200 or less. Pay someone and your talking about 600. At least thats what it cost where I am from. I lost mine on my old 1/2 ton chev. Priced it out before I rebuilt it myself. All you have to do is pull the axles, pull out the inards or the rear end, and replace. You will have to take the new ones to a machine shop to have them press the new bearing onto the pinion gear. If the shims are worn than just take it to a shop. It takes some time to get the backlash all set-up right.

GunninGopher
    I was told that the rear end is not rebuildable. It was thunkin', clanging, rattlin', knockin' and slippin' when I drove it in. I couldn't give it more than 20% power.
    The shop her in El Cajon is calling junkyards for a rebuilt or rebuildable one. I can do this type of work when I have time, but I don't think I do right now. I'll probably pay someone to do it unless I'll save a ton of money doing it differently.

Sleek-Jet
    Pick-u-part... a nice morning, a few tools, a few bills, and a lot of greasy dirt should score you another 10 bolt. Probably can find a Sub in one of those yards to use as a doner.
    10 bolt rear ends are like small block chevy's. They are everywhere. If you don't want to get dirty, check a salvage yard, they should have a few... or good old ebay or craigs list.

Run_em_Hard
    I agree with sleek, the 10 bolt is everywhere. But I don't understand why it wouldn't be rebuildable. I would think at the worst you lost a couple teeth on your ring gear and those might have messed up either your spider gears or limited slip. But that whole rear-end is completely rebuildable. But if the worst has happened and you lost your gears and limited slip it might be cheaper to find a used one. Just make sure that the gear ratio is the same.

Sleek-Jet
    The only thing I could think of is that it spun a bearing race on the pinion, or it cracked the pinion housing somehow.

tahitijet
    His carrier may be no good. I"ve seen the gov locks in the newer trucks totall explode.
    I've seen very few totaled housings. but the housing is cheap. What your shop is probably telling you is it's cheaper to find a used housing with a carrier in it then it is to put a new carrier and parts in your old housing.
    Now if you want to make sure it doesn't happen agian. Take the opportunity to put a eaton carrier and good ring and pinon in it now. It'll cost you but it'll be strong.

Beer-30
    To go dually, you would need a dually rear end. The width is different between a regular 1-ton rear end and a dually rear (shorter).
    Plus, you would need 3/4 or 1-ton front suspension to either run the dually spindles/rotors or at the very least - the 8 lug wheel spacers that adapt the dually wheels on to a reg 3/4 ton rotor.
    I did this years ago and learned it is much easier just to buy a dually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast