Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Shortage in Arizona??

Rod-64
    I wouldn't worry about gas supplies in Havasu....I believe...but don't quote me...we get our gas from suppliers in Vegas.

hd&boatrider
    Local stations have gasoline ... for a price
    By KAY JENNEY
    BULLHEAD CITY -- Got gas? Forget the milk for the moment. While the price of gold sunk from last Friday's listing, the cost of liquid gold (gasoline) soared in Arizona, including Bullhead City, the result of a trickle-down effect from a ruptured pipeline between Phoenix and Tucson, July 30. It was shut down Aug. 8 and was one of two pipelines supplying the city.
    Local gas stations are currently obtaining gasoline supplies anywhere they can get it -- Las Vegas, Nev., St. George and Salt Lake City, Utah, even New Mexico -- most anywhere except Phoenix.
    Spokespersons for Bullhead City gas stations said distribution of gas has slowed down, but supplies are available. That's not the problem. Gas stations reported Tuesday the prices they are paying for their gas deliveries have steadily risen and some people claim price-gouging by those who control the flow of oil.
    "It's slow, but it's getting here. The cost of trucking is the reason for higher gas prices," Woody's Chevron manager Harlene Carpenter said. "It's supply and demand."
    Kelly Stokesberry, manager of the Tri Mart gas station, said she had to raise fuel prices Tuesday morning. She said her store ran out of gas Friday and Sunday. She said she has gotten gas out Bloomfield, N.M., and Parker.
    "The stations don't make any money. The truckers aren't making money, it's the big oil tycoons," truck driver Gary Danklef, of St. George, Utah, said as he delivered a load of gasoline at Tri Mart. He said suppliers in Las Vegas raised their prices to discourage the Phoenix market from buying their gas.
    He said his company, Tri-Valley, Heber City, Utah, hauls gasoline to this area from Las Vegas, St.George and sometimes Salt Lake City.
    Issa Deebes, owner of a former Shell station, said it costs him $500-$700 a day to stay in business. He said he is involved in negotiations with other companies to operate the station.
    "I don't want to close," Deebes said, but added that his cost for gasoline rose 12 cents in one day between an order and delivery.
    "We haven't ran out yet. The guy who does the ordering does a pretty good job," said Sandy Hernandez, Terrible Herbst manager.
    The Mobil station also reported no problems obtaining gas and manager Dawnette Renfro said she hopes prices will not continue to rise.
    Airport Chevron manager Irene Sissener said her station is not making much profit. She said every load seems to cost more. She said one day it went up 11 cents per gallon.
    "I try to keep the prices as low as I can," Sissener said.
    Fastrip Food Store manager Ishtiaq Mirza said his company has no trouble getting supplies of gasoline. He said all orders about pricing come from corporate headquarters. The last time he had to raise prices was Friday.
    One gas station employee who asked not to be named said there is no shortage of gas. He said it is a manufactured situation in order to gouge the public. He said the only minor problem was to find alternate methods of transporting gasoline.
    Regular unleaded prices Tuesday morning:
    Woody's Chevron 3713 Highway 95 -- $1.86 9/10
    Circle K 76 2551 Highway 95 -- $1.95 9/10
    Tri Mart 2540 Highway 95 -- $1.81 9/10
    Terrible Herbst - 1815 Highway 95 -- $1.89 9/10
    Airport Chevron 600 Highway 95 -- $1.86 9/10
    Fastrip Food Store, 2199 Highway 95 -- $1.89 9/10

OGShocker
    Insider Information!
    From what I know, the Pipeline "failure" in Arizona was caused by a CORROSION related phenomenon. Kinder-Morgan has replaced the damaged section (nearly one mile) and is ready to start sending fuel once again. The ACC (AZ Corp Commission) is stopping the process from happening. I think we should ALL call the Commission and ask why!
    You want to know what corrosion costs the USA per year! 276 BILLION DOLLARS! Click the Link. www.corrosioncost.com
    Just my .02
    OGS

Jordy
    OGShocker:
    The ACC (AZ Corp Commission) is stopping the process from happening. I think we should ALL call the Commission and ask why! The Commission doesn't have the money to really do anything pipeline related. They also handle railroad safety in the same division and are barely on top of that. I did an internship at the ACC after college. Pretty scary what goes on, and what doesn't go on, in that building. The gas company is dragging their feet, and the governor is a joke. Her public speaking skills are very limited and it was obvious that she was given the run around when she tried to hard-ass the pipeline company. She shifted her answers when she was questioned by the press as well... guess she's either in on it or not smart enough to see what's going on. Then again, what does she care, she has car service when she wants to go somewhere right?

Stoked
    I was talking to my brother just this morning, he runs several Enterprise rental car offices in the Phoenix area. With a fleet of over 7000 cars in the Phoenix area alone he says local people are renting cars bringing them back empty and paying the $1.80 according to the contract for returning an empty car. He has been advised it will be an issue through the end of summer.

TIMEBOMB
    Jordy
    Don't you mean "He has a car service" That is one manly looking lady. And her speaking skill really do just plain suck. Luckily since this all started I have not had to buy gas. (p.o.s honda crx that gets 25-30 mpg) But this is only the point A to B car. Really dread filling up the Tahoe. At work a couple of guys have driven to Coolidge and fill up for 1.77 a gallon. Still a 20 minute trip from the house, but I would rather be moving than sitting in a line for the same amount of time. I also have heard of a guy that went out and bought a bunch of 1 gallon gas cans, filled them up and is selling them to people in line for 10.00 bucks a pop. I guess everyone is out to make a buck. burningm Later Gary.
    [ August 20, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

BoatPI
    Havasu Herbst went from $1.72 to $1.84 overnight. And that was yesterday's price. Plenty of ga$. Parker was higher by a few cents. OC and LA gas is at $1.92 plus++++

Boatcop
    As of noon Wednesday, AM/PM (Herbst) in Parker was $1.81, and Super Fuels was at $1.77 for Reg/unl.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    just paid 1.46 for regular. Damn it sucks living in Texas . Our gas was 1.34 last week. WTF???? you guys out west need some refineries!!!!
    Omega

FreddieB81
    I just paid 2.19 for 87 at University and Rural. No line, though!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast