Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutes

Seadog
    Last night LS did a hatchet job on the car makers. Trotting out environuts and an engineer that thinks that the automakers could create much better trucks and SUVs by using exotic materials and redesigning the motors and transmissions.
    This is pretty much nonsense to me. I agree that we should try and get better gas mileage, but the environuts think that the government and car makers should dictate what we buy. The engineer says that it would only cost $1400 per vehicle. When an engineer says that, it is more like $5500. That was estimated to save $500/yr in fuel costs. The price of vehicles is dear now and they want to force adding several thousands of dollars of untried technology and parts onto that? What is ridiculous is that for that money you are better off with a diesel and still have the power needed to pull a boat.
    I personally think that the average person does not need a big SUV or pickup. I see a lot of fools in Suburbans or Hummers that have never towed or hauled anything other that a few bags of groceries. The catch is that it is their right and their money.
    Can you imagine a saleman trying to promote a new SUV? "It gets 30 mpg and is real environmental friendly. It has flashing lights that let the small cars see it. It has 360 degree radar with override so that you cannot hit a small car. It will only tow 1000 lbs at highway speeds, but will tow 7000 lbs at 20 mph, unless you go up a 5% slope."

Catmando
    There is a very simple solution; raise the CAFE standards. And KEEP raising them until the carmakers have to inprove technology. That's the only way mileage and emissions will improve.

ROZ
    Seadog:
    The price of vehicles is dear now and they want to force adding several thousands of dollars of untried technology and parts onto that? That's how we ended up with MTBE in our gas......

ROZ
    Catmando:
    There is a very simple solution; raise the CAFE standards. And KEEP raising them until the carmakers have to inprove technology. That's the only way mileage and emissions will improve. maybe we should all ride bikes....

Dave C
    Come on now. We have been increasing clean air standards, albeit just gradually.
    Think about it, 30 years. All cars were gross polluters. Now cars and SUVS have much cleaner emmissions.
    We will be OK as long as we progress forward as we have been.
    Come to California, certified SULEV vehicles must meet rigid clean air standards. Now there a lot of models (including one mercruiser boat model) that meets these standards.
    BTW, did you know your gus guzzler gets hit with a federal gas guzzling tax?

Dave C
    Lets get real. the only way to get zero emissions is to not drive your car, even a clean one.
    So we see where this is going.
    If someone wants to drive a gas-guzzler then they should have to pay for the gas (& $0.50 in taxes) and not complain about the price. Its their decision and they should have freedom to do so, why should we stop them?
    [ October 13, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Dave C ]

Catmando:
    There is a very simple solution; raise the CAFE standards. And KEEP raising them until the carmakers have to inprove technology. That's the only way mileage and emissions will improve. Spoken like a true left wing wacko liberal...make the govt. mandate what the auto mfgs do. Then they can raise the price of vehicles until only the top 1% money earners can afford. Great way to get us peons into mass transit, thats totally reliable and something we all can count on, right?

Catmando
    The first segment was interesting too. Richard Scrushy owns the 40' Monopoly Skater.
    [ October 13, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Catmando ]

MagicMtnDan
    That segment on 60 minutes started out about America's dependence on foreign oil and then moved into how SUVs use so much gas. Even though all these liberals talk $hit about SUVs, this is NOT about SUVs.
    What I drive and how much gas I use is MY own business! Since when does anyone have the right to tell me I should/should not be driving, whether it's a moped or a 2,000HP funny car?!
    My use of gasoline has nothing to do with this country's dependence on foreign oil. I repeat, My use of gasoline has nothing to do with this country's dependence on foreign oil. How can I say that? Easy. I PAY for the gas (and everything else I/we consume). If I can afford to pay for it and it's available then I can buy it (supply and demand).
    If this country wants to have a sensible oil/energy policy and reduce its dependence on foreign oil (something I think would be very good since then we could hammer countries like Saudi Arabia, etc. for their support of terrorism) then it should get more oil here and even raise the tax on oil (I am NOT supporting that) like Europe and the rest of the world does. High gas taxes will reduce the number of SUVs, reduce dependence on foreign oil and kill our auto industry.
    The government is responsible for an energy policy that helps American citizens. If they want the oil companies to drill for more expensive oil here than buy it at lower prices from over there (OPEC) then they'll make that policy.
    In the meantime, all you anti-SUV, anti-combustion engine anything, hypocritical a$$holes can suck the tailpipe on my 8.1L big block.
    [ October 14, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

Dr. Eagle
    Catmando:
    There is a very simple solution; raise the CAFE standards. And KEEP raising them until the carmakers have to inprove technology. That's the only way mileage and emissions will improve. Simple...geeeeeze you are a Liberal Whacko of the first degree!!!!!!!!!
    I for one do not see the Peoples Auto Distribution Bureau in my future, if it comes to that look for The American Revolution II the sequel. What the government needs to do is get the hell out of our lives and quit picking our pockets!!!! devil By the way its "Improve"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast