I'm trying to learn more about making my boat perform better (and more about my boat), and help my buddy Tony out as well. This forum has been a GREAT place ! I've met some really great, and informed people here, and I'm hoping you guys can answer yet a few more questions for me.
The question is about intake housings. My intake is already machined flat so I can bolt on a shoe and ride plate (`76 Sanger Custom Sprint). Is this the way all Sanger's are, or just my model, or is it more likely my intake housing was machined by a previous owner ? Do most boats come with the "V" intake housing ? Was it maybe an option on my boat when it was ordered ? Was having a flat housing an option with other Mfg's ? Does the pump model have anything to do with it (his is a one piece bowl, and I have a two piece unti) ?
My buddy's boat (`76 19' Sunchaser) is 'V' shaped all the way front to back. Not mine though, the entire intake housing is flat front to back, with a step at the end for a ride plate. Tony would like to add a ride plate and maybe a shoe to his boat, and we started seaching threads last night. Many threads mentioned machining the intake to accept a shoe and plate. It looks as though he will have to do some of that work before he can add a shoe or plate. Is this the case with most, some, or few other boats ?
He also has some durabiluty concerns about his boat. We figure it's a heavy boat, but it goes well (800hp doesn't hurt ) . He doesn't know if he should put $$$ into that hull, or start looking for something else ?
I know it's lot of questions, and your input is always appreciated !