Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anoying Messenger pop-up ads

Phat_Kat
    Yes a router will get rid of these things for good because the subnet IP will throw off the message. I remember someone posted a way to turn this stupid thing off a while back. Do a search on the forums for it. Beware routers though, they have their advantages but you'll notice that a lot of web based programs will stop working or will start acting up.

Kurtis500
    THANKS! I got it stopped. I fixed it by turning off the messenger by using the above link from 572Daytona. Those were the exact messages I was getting 572daytona...thanks again everyone.

mickeyfinn
    If you want to get rid of the messenger ads you can just check out this thread.
    messenger spam

I_C_E_Y
    This is a windows popup that is easily disabled. I will search how now.

I_C_E_Y
    start -> controlpanel -> admin tools -> computer management -> services
    Then you double click on services and find "messenger" double click that and then you put the option on disable.

shockwavebd
    This sucks cause I am still running windows 98 and can't turn any of it off argue

bigq
    Phat_Kat:
    Yes a router will get rid of these things for good because the subnet IP will throw off the message. I remember someone posted a way to turn this stupid thing off a while back. Do a search on the forums for it. Beware routers though, they have their advantages but you'll notice that a lot of web based programs will stop working or will start acting up. Listen to 572. The router/firewall will close the port that netsend uses from the outside world. This is a legitimate command that network administrators can use to send messages to users. Unfortunatly spammers have figured it out.

mickeyfinn
    ICEY got it right. It is windows messenger service. If you are running windows 98 it shouldn't be a problem. You don't have that service. This doesn't block pop-up internet pages just the messenger service ads.

I_C_E_Y
    I_C_E_Y:
    start -> controlpanel -> admin tools -> computer management -> services
    Then you double click on services and find "messenger" double click that and then you put the option on disable. I am 100% Correct. One last bumb for all of you who havn't seen this.

I_C_E_Y
    I forgot to add, Windows 98 does not have the "messenger" service. It was added recently in the XP version. I'm pretty sure the horrible ME doens't have it either. I have forgoten on that one it's been to long so don't mark my word.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast