Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A letter to Kevin Spaise...

HighRoller
    Mr.Spaise,
    In the latest magazine you defended the actions of ***boat with regards to what we(the readers) saw as constant flattery of boats that might or might not deserve it.You supposedly backed up your commentary with excerpts from the latest evaluations.While this on the surface may have been justified,I took offense at your arrogant and condescending attitude towards us.(The apparently uneducated readers who don't read the magazine after all.)
    To begin with,Mr.Spaise,the accusations of many are not unfounded,in my opinion.Wasn't there a boat in last year's evaluations that was so dangerous to drive you crowed about how you were going to take"a deep,dark bite"out of someone's ass?When,and in which issue did ***boat sink it's teeth into this manufacturer's hide??
    Next,I'd like to know which section of your readership can identify with the testing of boats over 200,000 dollars?Not many,from what I see on the boards.Yet you dedicate a whole issue to this subject,and maybe this is where you get the feeling many of us aren't reading.How many readers have the resources to pay for over 100 gallons of fuel an hour,a tractor trailer to tow it with not to mention an oversize permit in many staes!!I bring this issue up because I know it must be nice as a staffer to get behind the wheel of a boat like this,but isn't the objective of ***boat to try to bring issues to the reader that they can identify with?
    I have no problem with the assertion that the testing staff is hard working and very experienced.Indeed they are.I'm sure between all of them they have driven about every make model and type of boat on the planet.But that might be a disadvantage as well.A boat that is seen as"a pleasure"to drive by an experienced ex-racer might be a handfull to a novice boater.Therefore,I have repeatedly floated the idea of having at least one novice boater on in the mix for each evaluation so we know what he thought driving the boat for the first time without possibly having ever driven a boat like that.Don't you think boat manufacturers would kill for information like that?It's a win-win-win situation for boaters,***boat and the builders if,that is,***boat allows his unadulterated and unedited comments to reach the pages.
    In conclusion,I have no wish to run HB into the ground.I'm not bragging but I've spent all of my 31 years as a boater in one way or another so I think I have an idea of what ***boating is about.It's not about big expensive boats,it's about people.All I want is a magazine that publishes information,stories and features that are relevant to these people.Of course,that's coming from a guy who admittedly did not read every page of the March issue.Sorry,offshore boats bore me.....

ACCEPTENCE
    Interesting thoughts, don't hold back.
    More interesting will be the responce you recieve.

sandblasted
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. many readers feel the same way but what's the alternative? Trailer Boats? wink

skeepwerkzaz
    I agree, mostly. I think that hot boating is more of a state of mind than a state of the wallet. REAL ***boating to me is about people being the main focus. I built it, WE built it, HE/SHE helped me, So and So hooked me up etc etc. I will go over and look at a guys boat like mine WAY before I go and look at some rich A-holes 200K Fountain. I know the guy like me has some effort into his and not just a big bill-fold. Hot Boat used to have ALOT of Tech type articles back in the 80's, now that is relegated to a few pages under "Jet Tech" or the likes, and unfortunately these precious pages (which by the way is one of the ONLY reasons I buy the mag) have some doorknob wondering why his boat is slow.
    On the other hand, it is there business to sell not just magazines, but ad-space aswell. The guys that can afford big ads, make big boats, and Larry Flint lots of $.
    Finally, is that really all that bad? They provide us with this forum, that is WAY better that the mag could ever be. We have a new "virtual mag" every day, not 11 months out of the year. I also think that our Bikini issue is better. They have been using the same old girls for years, and someone is always posting a new pic of a new hot chick. This place rocks, let the $$$$ guy spend his money on the Offshore issues.
    Clay
    [ February 27, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: skeepwerkzaz ]

***boat
    "A letter to Kevin Spaise... "
    Did you send this to him or did you want me to? Kevin does not read the boards so if you do want me to forward something to him let me know. Alternativly if you do not want to post it click on this link for an email contact. http://www.***boat.net/contact.htm

Mandelon
    Somfin to be said for dat!!!
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/home_page/bikini_rotator/big/01[1].jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/home_page/bikini_rotator/big/20[1].jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/home_page/bikini_rotator/big/10[1].jpg[/img]
    [ February 27, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Charley
    Ya know..... I personally am a little sick and tired of the constant bitching about the magazine.... you don't like it????? 2 scenarios.... make yer own magazine..... or .....don't buy this one.... ok fine a little e-public opinion here and there is all good but the reality is that you can't make everyone happy ...period.... your'e screen name is high roller but your'e afraid of expensive boats??? did I miss something? The real deal is that Magazines are supposed to give us all some thing to relate to and something to Dream of..... HOT BOAT does both... if you dont believe me look at the current reader rides....
    http://www.***boat.net/hbcove/index.cfm
    13 of the 15 boats featured are 25' or less RIVER boats...Which is totally cool but WTF?? is it ok to have some "DREAM" boats in the magazine too guys??

superdave013
    Charley:
    Ya know..... I personally am a little sick and tired of the constant bitching about the magazine.... you don't like it????? 2 scenarios.... make yer own magazine..... or .....don't buy this one.... ok fine a little e-public opinion here and there is all good but the reality is that you can't make everyone happy ...period.... your'e screen name is high roller but your'e afraid of expensive boats??? did I miss something? The real deal is that Magazines are supposed to give us all some thing to relate to and something to Dream of..... HOT BOAT does both... if you dont believe me look at the current reader rides....
    http://www.***boat.net/hbcove/index.cfm
    13 of the 15 boats featured are 25' or less RIVER boats...Which is totally cool but WTF?? is it ok to have some "DREAM" boats in the magazine too guys?? ditto! If you don't like it don't read it. If you think you can do it better I'll be the first one to read yours too.

mbrown2
    Ditto..The magazine is trying to do the right thing and find a balance....It seems like there is a lot of "biting the hand that feeds you" going on around here....Everyone has options, and opinions, and whatever they put in the magazine is really not that important...it ain't like they are curing world hunger with my subscription fee, and I bet the couple billion people in China don't give a shit what goes in hot boat...
    Also, if they only put 25' and under, Charlie might not get his boat in the mag j/k.

Charley
    mbrown2:
    Ditto..The magazine is trying to do the right thing and find a balance....It seems like there is a lot of "biting the hand that feeds you" going on around here....Everyone has options, and opinions, and whatever they put in the magazine is really not that important...it ain't like they are curing world hunger with my subscription fee, and I bet the couple billion people in China don't give a shit what goes in hot boat...
    Also, if they only put 25' and under, Charlie might not get his boat in the mag j/k. bastard

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast