Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More Info/Parker Accident

RiverRatMike
    Man accused of fatal hit-and-run gets bond reduction
    By Joan Travis
    PARKER - A California man who allegedly left the scene of a triple-fatal boat collision told a witness, “I killed them. I killed those kids,” according to testimony presented Thursday during his preliminary hearing.
    At the hearing, Rush Grier, 62, owner of Rush Performance Boats and a resident of Maywood, Calif., requested and was granted a bond reduction from $1 million to $100,000 in Parker Justice Court.
    Sgt. Alan Nelson, an investigator for the La Paz County SheriffÂ’s Office, said he talked to a witness at FoxÂ’s Resort following the Sept. 19 collision that killed three young people.
    The witness, who knew Rush, saw the boat manufacturer walking toward him. He told Nelson that he asked Rush if he was OK. Rush responded, saying he had “killed those kids.”
    Defense attorney Ron Cordova asked Nelson, “Since you didn’t know him (Rush), you wouldn’t have known if he was there?”
    Nelson stated he was there to observe what was going on.
    Asking Judge John Drum for the bond reduction, Cordova said Rush had been a lifelong resident of Maywood and a Parker visitor for the last 40 years.
    “My client will be at every court hearing. The $1 million bond is excessive. I request a $100,000 bond,” Cordova stated.
    Drum conferred with County Attorney Glenn Buckelew and the reduction was granted. Family members of the victims were visibly upset with the bond reduction.
    Rush was still in the county jail late Thursday.
    Drum set RushÂ’s arraignment for Oct. 14 in the county superior court.
    Authorities allege that Rush was driving one of his own performance boats when it struck another vessel, resulting in the death of three young people and seriously injuring a teenager.
    Killed in the Parker Strip collision were Ashley Rollins, 18, of Mission Viejo, Calif., and siblings, Jonathan, 21, and Jaquel Herbert, 18, of Laguna Hills, Calif. A fourth victim, Josh Rogers, 18, was airlifted to a Phoenix hospital.
    According to the La Paz County Sheriff, Rush left the scene and returned to California. He is charged with a Class 5 felony, failure to stop after a watercraft collision that results in death or serious physical injury.
    At a previous hearing, Drum told Rush that, if convicted, he would face a minimum of one year in prison, with the maximum at 2 1/2 years.
    In testimony Thursday, Nelson described the accident scene and the steps he took in trying to locate Rush. He told the courtroom he was contacted one day after the accident by RushÂ’s attorney Cordova.
    Nelson stated Cordova wanted to know if the sheriffÂ’s office wanted to contact Rush for investigative or criminal reasons. Nelson told the attorney it would be in RushÂ’s best interest to return to La Paz County and turn himself in.
    Rush and his attorney returned to Parker in the afternoon two days after the collision.
    Cordova claimed the charge against Rush had not been established — the statute doesn’t state he (Rush) should remain at the scene. He said there was nothing his client could do at the scene to help the victims.
    Buckelew stated the defendant should have rendered aid and established contact with law enforcement.
    Buckelew said he would accompany Sgt. Nelson tonight on the county patrol boat and get more detail on the investigation by visiting the accident scene. He said he may file additional charges against Rush in the next two weeks.
    — Staff writer John Gutekunst contributed to this report.

Mandelon
    Thanks, Mike. Keep us posted.
    frown

Laveyman
    RiverRatMike:
    Cordova claimed the charge against Rush had not been established — the statute doesn’t state he (Rush) should remain at the scene. He said there was nothing his client could do at the scene to help the victims.
    It's typical bullshit dribble like this that coming from the mouths of attorneys that makes me ****ing HATE them! Let me see if I can understand his "logic"....OOOPS! They're dead. I guess there's nothing I can do to save them, so I guess it's okay for me to split and dodge my responsibility.
    What total HORSE SHIT! If I were Rush Grier I would be mortified of what I had done, and be equally embarassed by my attorney uttering those words in a courthouse trying to justify what I had done!
    Rush Grier...Be a man. Stand up and accept responsibility for your actions. The bottom line is, IF YOU HADN'T FLED THE SCENE IN THE FIRST PLACE, you probably would not have ANY charges filed against you. ****ing Idiot! burningm
    [ October 03, 2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Laveyman ]

SandbarScot
    It is my experience that a high percentage of people who flee from boat collisions do so because of their intoxication, to avoid prosecution. In California, he would be looking at a more serious crime if his intoxication could be proven. They often turn themselves in once sober.

Mr.Havasu
    RiverRatMike:
    At a previous hearing, Drum told Rush that, if convicted, he would face a minimum of one year in prison, with the maximum at 2 1/2 years.
    This seems a little light for causing the death of 3 children and than leaving. Where is the justise in 1 - 2.5 years? Would it have been more if it was proven he was intoxicated? If so doesn't this penalty seem to encourage further Hit & Runs rather than face the music. It seems if you Hit and Split the penalty should be twice the penealty than causing an accident/death under the influence.
    This just seems wrong.
    [ October 03, 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: warlock25 ]

Dr. Eagle
    warlock25:
    RiverRatMike:
    This seems a little light for causing the death of 3 children and than leaving. Where is the justise in 1 - 2.5 years? Would it have been more if it was proven he was intoxicated? If so doesn't this penalty seem to encourage further Hit & Runs rather than face the music. It seems if you Hit and Split the penalty should be twice the penealty than causing an accident/death under the influence.
    This just seems wrong. I second that..............

HavasuDreamin'
    warlock25:
    RiverRatMike:
    This just seems wrong. The way I understand it, fault has not yet been determined. The sentence of 1 - 2.5 years is for fleeing the scene of a fatal collision. If it is proven that Rush is at fault, it stands to reason that he will be in jail a lot longer than 1 - 2.5 years. I agree with you regarding the sentence for fleeing vs. sentence for being intoxicated. Something should be done.
    Again, my most sincere condolences to Dos and his family. frown
    [ October 03, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

superdave013
    Mike, thanks for that info. That witness account is the same story that I heard. Well, I heard lots of stories but the most credible one was told that way.
    The entire deal really bothers me. I understand that accidents happen but to ****ing take off and leave. I'll never understand that one. I keep asking myself if he would have tried to help if maybe just maybe at least one person could have been saved?
    If you want your hart totally broken put some faces with those names. To see a beautiful family and what must have been some very close friends click HERE.
    I pretty much break down in tears every time I read that thread.

RiverRatMike
    Your welcome. If I come across anymore intomation I'll post it here.

Her454
    Im having a VERY hard time with this. Out of respect for both parties and not really knowing details, except from what I have read, Im reserving any blame.... for now .
    BUT the simple fact that someone would leave the scene is beyond my comprehension, and then only receiving such a minimal sentence for the loss of life is a tragic injustice on top of insulting the family members of the victims.
    Just my 02.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast