Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard inspection

CMABadseed
    I got inspected by the coasties while my boat sat tied up at a dock in a small launching area not 10 feet from the trailer still in the water.
    They fully inspected it. I was found to be lacking proper registration, which was sitting in the truck which i was not allowed to go get. I also had 3 adult vest and 5 youth vests but there were 4 adults in the boat. They said i could go buy one or take my boat out of the water. I took the boat out and bought 2 more adult jackets and put the registraion in the boat. I went back to the ramp and asked to be inspected again and they handed me the inspection sheet with my infractions on it and said have a nice day. no re-inspection no nothing so i didnt think anything much of it until the other day when i go a notice (3 months Later) that i have to have my boat re-inspected with in 30 days or i would be subject to a pretty steep penalty. why did they not take care of this the same day, when i came back. they just said have a nice day! so now i gotta tow the boat to an inspector and have him sign it off (much like a fix it ticket). What a F*ckin hassle.
    At least now i know why coasties have to be 6 feet or taller from now on.
    so when there boats sink they can walk to shore!

HCS
    We were shook down by the coasties once,it took them 45min to check out our whole F'ckin boat. They couldn't find one thing wrong and acted like they were pissed!.They checked everything from the horn to life jackets you name it.So the clown coastie in charge made us remove our air cleaner,He rubbed his queer finger in the throat of our carburetor and said it had too much oil in it, and it needed to be cleaned.Thats it! what a joke! We looked at him like you got to be kidding!They lectured us about dirty carbs then left.These gays OH! I mean guys obviously have too much time on their hands!!

*LS7*
    What you seem to not Realize is the fact the Coasties need not be 6' tall to walk back to shore....
    THEY WALK ON WATER

JetBoatRich
    How long can you talk about dirty carbs? Gay clean freaks I guess?

Boatcop
    CMA,
    Where did this take place at? Did your Coast Guard 4100 Form, Notice of Violation, (their version of a "ticket") show which unit the Officers were from?
    Since the Coast Guard scrapped it's primary Boating Safety program in the early '80s, they took the "PR" out of it. Instead of professional Boating Safety officers doing these inspections, they are now done by the Station crews or Tactical Law Enforcement teams. (I don't know why they call them "tactical, when they apparently have little tact.)
    We always would have given the boater the opportunity to correct the problem on the spot, and then do another inspection with a clean slate. We were more interested in them being safe, than in grinding out violation numbers.
    I'd find out which unit and individual gave out the violation and then refused to re-inspect it. Then call his Officer-in-Charge and set up an appointment to have the boat re-inspected, and explain (nicely) the situation,how you could have cleared it then and there, but were refused.
    Also, for HardCore, there is no reason for the officer to remove the flame arrestor and "white glove" the carb. The only violation with a proper flame arrestor is if it's gunked up with oil so bad, it could catch fire. But that's the arrestor itself, not the carb.
    Oh, yeah. I'm a retired USCG Senior Chief Petty Officer, (E-8 / 27+ years service), was on 2 Boating Safety teams,(Channel Islands, Lakes Mohave and Mead, Havasu & the Strip,1978-'79.) and was Supervisor of the Coast Guard Boating Safety Detachment - Parker Dam. (1980-1981)

Sangster
    Thats alot of coffee & doughnuts.....Well done BC.. Not to many people stay in one work field that long anymore..Congrats....

damm bc pretty healthy resume!

CMABadseed
    no problem.....maybe i caught the guy on a bad day or something. i dont know he just seemed really inflexible. I dont wanna hang anybody out to dry cause it's not a huge deal.
    the 4100 that i got had all the info i need on it and monday i'll be on the phone to clear it up.
    BoatCop--if i happened to be out at the river and saw a CG vessel, could i request a re-inspect right there, and be back on the right side of things? or would that ust get into more trouble for being out before i was re-inspected?
    LS7-- when getting a COI they certainly do! no offense just a funny something i ran across at the Maritime Academy.

Boatcop
    Sorry CMA. No Coast Guard on the River anymore. You won't get in trouble for using the boat before re-inspecting, as long as everything is in order.
    What I suggest to every boater is to go to your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and have them do a Vessel Safety Check (VSC) on the boat. They require more than "just" the legal items, but also some essential extras that you need, but aren't required by law.
    If you pass they give you a decal to put on the boat. The Coast Guard and other boating enforcement officials don't stop and do "random" safety checks on boats that are displaying the decal, unless they see an obvious violation or unsafe operation.
    More Info Here:
    USCG Auxiliary

gnarley
    CMABadseed:
    I got inspected by the coasties, I was found to be lacking proper registration, which was sitting in the truck which i was not allowed to go get. I also had 3 adult vest and 5 youth vests but there were 4 adults in the boat. CMABadseed, I hate to say it but it sounds like you need to learn the rules. I don't want to sound rude & I know getting inspected is a b*tch but the fact is you didn't know or were not prepared for safety. What would have happened if you sank & all four adults needed vests? Someone may have drowned, as you didn't take proper precautions! Do yourself & family a favor and those who boat with you. Take a class & learn the laws, it really opens your eyes. Owning a boat doesn't mean you can just do what you want & if you haven't taken a course how do you know what you really need to know? When you operate a boat, law enforcement assumes that you know all this & are prepared & if not they really hassle you when they find you aren’t! When you are prepared and have everything you need you can get your boat inspected by the CG or auxiliary and get the inspection sticker yearly, & rarely does anyone ever hassle you again when they see it on your boat!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast