Thread: And you thought California had idiotic laws..

Boatcop
    I posted this on the HB - Central board, but thought I'd throw it up here for discussion and a good laugh.
    I don't know how many Illinois boaters are on this board, but if there are you need to see this:
    Reflective Tape Law
    It says that any boat titled or registered in Illinois be required to have minimum 1" reflective tape down the length of each side of the boat. (The original bill nad it ALL THE WAY AROUND!)
    From my understanding it was proposed after a 14 year old girl took off in a small boat (without permission) and broke down out on the water. She was found safe, but the search was hampered by darkness. The mental midget who authored and introduced this bill feels that the tape would reflect spotlights and allow for easier rescue.
    And I thought California had some fupped duck laws. This one takes the cake.
    Maybe the land of fruits and nuts is slowly moving eastward. (I hope it passes over Arizona. Maybe I should smear sheeps blood on the desert to be sure.)

68campbell
    That would look good on my flatty, since I only have about .75 inches of freeboard when the big motor is in.

SCUBA STEVE
    so all the custom gel coat work would be for nothing? what a great law!

eliminatedsprinter
    SSSHHHH don't mention this law in Ca. It's just stupid enough for Sacramento to go for. Jackie Goldberg would draft this into a bill that would only excuse boats that displayed a rainbow bumper sticker on both sides near the stern.

lakesmodified
    eliminatedsprinter:
    SSSHHHH don't mention this law in Ca. It's just stupid enough for Sacramento to go for. Jackie Goldberg would draft this into a bill that would only excuse boats that displayed a rainbow bumper sticker on both sides near the stern. Actually, being originally from California, and knowing how far these stupid liberals will take things, here's California's version: All watercraft, including personal watercraft, will have a red strobing or revolving beacon affixed to the stern of the craft no lower than 48" from the waters surface. This beacon shall emit a minimum of 500,000 candlepower and be seen a minimum of 5 miles from shore.