Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tow vehicle choices/ MOTOR HEADS NEEDED

nodigg
    It's time to replace the '98 Tahoe...200,000 miles and still going strong but for how much longer???
    I'm going for the new "no body cladding" Avalanche or the Cadillac EXT. My question is, I want the best towing power so why does the EXT have a lot more torque and HP than the Avalanche but almost a thousand pounds less tow capacity? Is it the all wheel drive or maybe the weight of the Cadillac bells and whistles that reduce it's capacity?
    In the end, which will pull harder up a hill given equal loads?

91nordic29
    just bought a chevy 2500HD duramax to tow our 29' nordic (boat & trailer appx 8,000 lbs. pulls like a dream.

PussyPusher
    Nodigg check your Pm!

HammerDown
    Ya want the BEST towing power, one word...DIESEL.
    And toss in better fuel economy just for giggles.

nodigg
    I did consider the Mitsubishi powered Chevy and took a test drive. Impressive power, ride, and handling I thought. (GOBS OF TORQUE!) and not too noisy for a diesel....but still a diesel. (Had one and I own class 8 trucks) Since I don't tow every day I didn't want the rougher ride that comes with the 2500 specs. GREAT TOW CHOICE HOWEVER!

nodigg
    HammerDown:
    Ya want the BEST towing power, one word...DIESEL.
    And toss in better fuel economy just for giggles. NO doubt diesel IS the best for towing. But I only tow a small percentage of my miles. I need more creature comfort than diesel allows. I think I am just tired of the smell after all these years of truckin'!

swac
    You can get a Avalanche 3/4ton with a 8.1 (496) it will tow most anything you throw at it.
    -swac

nodigg
    PussyPusher:
    Nodigg check your Pm! back at ya'

91nordic29
    doesnt that 8.1 only get appx 9 mpg?

nodigg
    swac:
    You can get a Avalanche 3/4ton with a 8.1 (496) it will tow most anything you throw at it.
    -swac No DOUBT! I talked to a few owners with that set up but the 8.1 sucks the boat money right out of your bank account it seems. All the extra weight with the frame and all on the 2500. I guess I will not be able to replace my 20 mpg Tahoe without some sacrifices? But I WOULD like to see Chevy put the 6.1 option in the Avalance. Or how about the 8.1??? Probably bend the half ton frame when towing eh?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast