Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Union Hiring?

MJ19
    Anyone that is in the "know" please answer this question that I'm curious about.
    If all the workers at the markets are union and on strike...who is in charge of hiring the non-union workers and keeping the stores running? Is upper management non-union?
    If upper management is non-union, do you join the union work your way to the top to un-join?
    I am genuinely curious about that? Please answer if you know the correct answer...thanks

C-2
    With Albertson's, the store director (non union) was the only person who could interview and hire the temp employees.
    Not sure how the managers/supervisors/store directors go from union (while working thru the ranks)to non-union, maybe Riodog can answer that question and the reasoning behind it.

Boozer
    Management is non-union. Not so much you work your way to non union but you get to be management and you make more money but you no longer have union representation. You also will end up paying more your benefits. However, when the union strikes you don't it's a good deal.
    My last employer was union based. I didn't want to join the union because I don't agree or believe in unions but in the state of Colorado if you work for a union company you have to pay union dues regardless of membership. It's total B.S. You don't realize just how much B.S. it is until the union steward states to you "The company is going t do what the company wants, we will try to grieve but there are not garuntees." Is that Bullshit or what I was giving them more a month then I give the cable company and that's what I get as a result.
    However if you ever take a job for a company thay is union whil they are on strike when the strike is over you lose your job and you will NEVER work for that company because the union prohibits you from doing so.
    P.S.
    I will NEVER again work for a cmpany that has a union.

Boozer
    BTW there is nothing more liberal B.S. then a union. you give us your money and we will protect your job security. (Which they really only do a half ass jobat but protect the weak and shitty workers)
    If you work your ass of you will be an asset to your employer and your employer wont want to get rid of you, in the event your employer for some reason has to due to budget cuts or whatever they will still give you a good refference and you will be able to find something else even better, hopefully.
    F Unions. I can give you several examples of why unions suck. But I'm sure most of you know so I'll spare the bandwidth.
    But plain and simple. If you are an honest hardworking employee why should you have to pay someone to make sure your job will be secure? Shouldn't it be somewhat secure just because your a good employee and an asset to your employer????

572Daytona
    I worked for AT&T for a while and it was a somewhat common practice for workers to get "promoted" into management when they switched to a different job family. Although the management salaries were for the most part higher the promotion part is somewhat circumspect as you no longer got OT pay anymore no matter how many hours you work over 40. Some people that did the switch took a pretty big hit income wise when they did this. As for the benefits I believe at least at the time was that AT&T gave whatever benefits that the union negotiated to the managers as well.

C-2
    Boozer:
    BTW there is nothing more liberal B.S. then a union. you give us your money and we will protect your job security. (Which they really only do a half ass jobat but protect the weak and shitty workers)
    If you work your ass of you will be an asset to your employer and your employer wont want to get rid of you, in the event your employer for some reason has to due to budget cuts or whatever they will still give you a good refference and you will be able to find something else even better, hopefully.
    F Unions. I can give you several examples of why unions suck. But I'm sure most of you know so I'll spare the bandwidth.
    But plain and simple. If you are an honest hardworking employee why should you have to pay someone to make sure your job will be secure? Shouldn't it be somewhat secure just because your a good employee and an asset to your employer???? This topic was just beat to death with a lot of great responses. Check out;
    http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultima...;f=15;t=007365

Jungle Boy
    Unions in my mind cultivate lazyness. You only have to work as hard as the worse guy there, so it robs you of any ambition to work hard and excell.

burbanite
    Jungle Boy:
    Unions in my mind cultivate lazyness. You only have to work as hard as the worse guy there, so it robs you of any ambition to work hard and excell. Bingo!
    The only way to survive more than a day in my business is by being self motivated. If there was a "Motor Racing Union" there would never be a green flag...

Dave C
    Amen Boozer....
    Burb... they can't drop the green flag right now, they are on their mandated 2 hour break! wink
    [ October 17, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Dave C ]

Ziggy
    MJ19:
    Anyone that is in the "know" please answer this question that I'm curious about.
    If all the workers at the markets are union and on strike...who is in charge of hiring the non-union workers and keeping the stores running? Is upper management non-union?
    If upper management is non-union, do you join the union work your way to the top to un-join?
    I am genuinely curious about that? Please answer if you know the correct answer...thanks C-2 answers correctly to the best of my knowledge---which was what your question was. A friend of mine works for the grocery stores and he has since H.S., he's been asked to move into management many times but declines cuz of lost OT pay mostly, so he has stayed for years now at what he calls 3rd man at the store, one step below management and just works the cush hours.
    Personally, unions have outlived their usefullness in todays society and in reading the Letters to Editor in my local newspaper shows that the general feeling of people feel the same way, for whatever thats worth.
    BTW-nice to see you again Lindsey(aka wifey) wink You about to get that biz off the ground? I know someone you could contact who has done that before if you want some insight.(you know them too)
    [ October 17, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast