Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truely missed (Urban legend or fact)

TroubIeOnWater
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/grave.asp
    I cant remember how to spell truely or truley or truly. Some crap. Long night on the lake in the cold and to much to drink.

TroubIeOnWater
    Maybe CatMando will investigate this conspiracy for us all. I think Bush and the CIA are behind it. You tell me???
    Then again it could be that Al Qaida and the Aliens from Roswell did it. Who knows????

Catmando
    I love you TRULY. I tell ya, with all the typos on the boating boards, I'm starting to misspell words myself. It's a shame every English teacher can't be as good as the ones I had from 7th grade to 12th.
    What kind of spelling system are the teachers using today? Can THEY spell correctly???

Seadog
    Most students are taught that the old english rules are irrelevent. How many people can properly use who and whom? Of course, language is not static. It use to be that f was used instead of th in many words. And look at the American spelling and word usage compared with the English. I do think that proper sentence construction and word usage should be a strong part of an education. It is getting to be that bad spelling is so common that even those who know better will get ensnared.
    [ May 11, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Catmando
    Seadog:
    Most students are taught that the old english rules are irrelevent. How many people can properly use who and whom? Of course, language is not static. It use to be that f was used instead of th in many words. And look at the American spelling and word usage compared with the English. I do think that proper sentence construction and word usage should be a strong part of an education. It is getting to be that bad spelling is so common that even those who know better will get ensnared. What you said, dog. Let's see, what would a "seadog" be? A dolphin? Naw, dolphins are smarter than dogs.

HavasuBarney
    I think they should skip the importance of spelling all together and spend more time helping our children nurture something like how to hold on to that sense of joy we have as kids.
    Our skools are all phucked up with dat fonixs chit anyway....
    Spell phonics phonetically. If a system does not work on itself, that's a sign of a problem.

Catmando
    If kids can't spell, they'll have trouble graduating High School. Then they can't get into college or get a job. Good spelling is a must for career advancement.

BrendellaJet
    To whom it may concern:
    you guys got it all wrong. Just use the spell checker!!!
    [ May 11, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: BrendellaJet ]

HavasuBarney
    Catmando:
    If kids can't spell, they'll have trouble graduating High School. Then they can't get into college or get a job. Good spelling is a must for career advancement. That's total BS!
    Spell check is readily available. I've never heard of a spelling bee as a part of an interview.
    I've also never heard of anyone being passed over for spelling reasons... It's just not impotent. wink

Seadog
    Knowing how to spell and use proper english is in high demand right now. Spell checker only works if you are using the correct version of a word and it cannot detect the wrong word if it is spelled right. As an example, you want to say own, but type won by mistake.
    When the job market is overloaded, good language skills are very important. We just rejected a major engineering report because it was not written in a format that makes it easy for us to work with. How many top firms are going to put up with that type of wasted time on a fixed contract?
    For that matter, do you want street sign makers or billboard makers that cannot spell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast