Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Cobra Boats Story

Foss75
    I wanted to let all of you know that I received a letter in the mail today from Jeff Bohn's attorney. He is claiming that I (as well as others) on these forums are hurting his business. He is threatening to sue me because I have posted about my displeasure with his product and service (customer service and mechanical service). I just thought all of you would like to hear about this and maybe get a good laugh out of it, knowing what kind of guy he is. To all those looking to buy one of his boats at the boat shows: this is a perfect example of what kind of guy he is.

Mandelon
    I guess you're not allowed to have an opinion.... I don't see how anyone even a lawyer can dispute the truth, even if it is your version. They are free to log on and supply the other side of the story.
    Can they sue the Better Business Bureau for a negative rating? How about over a Dunn and Bradstreet score? I know you can get a lawyer to sue anybody for anything nowadays. Still doesn't make it right.
    Seems to me they should be writing you a letter asking how they can make you happy, and turn you into a satisfied customer instead of trying to simply shut you up. For the amount of money he's going to spend on a lawyer, they could probably take care of your issues....
    [ February 19, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

mbrown2
    Great....another builder where I have to include my own lawyer along with my wife into the graphics selection process..

Mohavekid
    Foss75, I'm not a lawyer nor an I affiliated with Cobra. I do know something about the legal system though. The law says you have the right to free speech, it also allows those who feel they have been damaged by your speech to seek monitary damages.
    Legally it's called defamation, libel, slander, interference with economic advantage and a host of other things. If you have homeowners insurance, you might want to check and see if you have Personal Injury coverage which would protect you in the event Cobra sues you for what you've posted here. The truth is a defense to the allegation of defamation, it's just very expensive to take a case to trial for a jury to decide if you've told the truth. Most of us cannot afford to defend a lawsuit of this type without insurance coverage.
    Just an FYI, good luck with them.

beyondhelpin
    Wow I have always liked the looks of their boats but I just cant see myself even looking at them now. It is a sad day when the a business of what ever kind will not resolve the issues of his customer. To make matters worse instead of taking care of the problem he is going to take your money and try to sue you with it. That is B.S..
    If you have a problem with what he is saying come defend yourself. The truth normaly prevails. Dont send the dogs to intimidate.
    BTW If you want to send me a letter go ahead. I keep an attorney on retainer and I just might counter sue.

77charger
    i dont thing it is defamation if it is true?that sucks to have a builder threathen you over their cust service probs.

TCHB
    This is the US and we can express our views and experiences. I am suprised I have not heard the boat manufacture come on the boards and tell his side of the stories. Thanks for letting us know about your dealings with Cobra.

bordsmnj
    to actually sue you and make it stick he would a)have to prove that you cost him money(show a loss) and b)prove that what you said was out of malice.(you just bein' mean.) Prove is defined as convincing 2/3 of a jury the he isn't just a dick.
    argue

Mandelon
    As long as you're not making up slanderous tales and only relating your true story I don't see how you can lose.....but if you do have to legally defend yourself, it could be expensive. Is that the price of free speech now?
    What do you call 5000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean???????

Mohavekid
    77 Charger & Bordsmnj, you're right, if it's true it's not defamation.
    The problem is you have to be able to afford to prove it. Lawyers and defending litigation against you is very expensive. A jury decides truth, you must get the case to a jury and that is going to take time and money.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast