Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hemi or Diesel? Milage vs. cost....?

Outnumbered
    Were gonna trade the 02 Durango in on a 03 Quad-Cab 4x4 Dodge 2500 SB. The Diesel is about $4,500 more than the Hemi. The Hemi has more power than I need, the diesel has way more than I need. We pull a 21' now and will likely get a 24' soon. I don't think we want to go any bigger on the boat size.
    Here are my concerns:
    1) Hemi gets worse milage, I'm guessing 12mpg (anybody have one?) Diesel gets about 15-20mpg from what I hear.
    2)Hemi comes with the 5-spd auto which is the same tranny that is in my Durango 4.7. It works great but with over 100 more horsepower--how will it hold up?
    3) Diesel costs $4,500 more eek!
    4) Diesel stink, noise, and grime on the boat while towing.
    5) The wife will be driving it a lot...she may not dig the diesel stink and noise.
    Lets hear some opinions
    Thanks!
    OL

HotHallet
    GET A DIESEL. I went all the way to Parker from L.A> on a half a tank. Not towing but still that is better than you will do with any gas motor.

Havasu Cig
    Get a diesel...We are on our third one now and would never go back. You get used to the noise, and I have never had diesel film on the boat (maybe that is a Dodge thing ).

HammerDown
    Diesel...that was easy enough!

Trash
    1) Hemi gets worse milage, I'm guessing 12mpg (anybody have one?) Diesel gets about 15-20mpg from what I hear.
    Something else to consider. It will take X amount of HP to tow the boat in a given condition. The diesel will attain that HP at a lower RPM than the gas motor. Since every engine has a certain number of revolutions to it's life, the diesel will last longer, plus most are built like tanks anyway. It's a lot more comforting hearing my diesel pull up hill at 2000 rpm than my gasser at 3800-4000!
    ) Diesel costs $4,500 more This was a concern too, but for my particular driving payback based on lower fuel prices and better mileage had a breakeven point at 66,000 miles.
    ) Diesel stink, noise, and grime on the boat while towing.
    The stink is a non-issue. You won't smell the diesel when driving anymore than any other exhaust. It is noisier, probably the most valid complaint. I love the sound, others don't. At highway speeds it is NOT an issue though. Grime on the boat is a NON ISSUE. It simply doesn't happen (at least for me).

CA Stu
    Diesel, hands down.
    New ones ride OK, and like the others said, there is no film on my boat either. There is some on the rear quarterpanel of the truck sometimes, but I have a lead foot.
    Get the diesel now and reap the benefits for years to come.
    Good Luck
    CA Stu

91nordic29
    DURAMAX diesel!!

STV_Keith
    You're on the right track. The ISBe Cummins in that Dodge can't be beat. The track record is great. Power? The HO makes 280hp to the rear wheels, and almost 500ft-lbs through the auto or 6-speed.
    Smoke - not an issue on a new truck, especially stock. The injection pressure is way up on the new HPCR (high pressure common rail) systems, so smoke is down.
    Noise - The ISBe is QUIETER than a Dmax.
    Mileage - typically 16-18mpg stock for those these days w/3.73's. The 4.10 trucks get less though.
    Longevity - The Cummins will outlast the gas motor about 3 to 1.
    I've got a little experience with these trucks, and it's all positive.
    Keith Lockliear
    Diesel Dynamics

Jordy
    STV_Keith:
    I've got a little experience with these trucks, and it's all positive.
    Keith Lockliear
    Diesel Dynamics Just a little huh?
    I would never buy another truck that wasn't a diesel.

Outnumbered
    Thanks for the input. Looks like diesel is the winner . Now, I just found out that you can't get the HO in Cali and to top it off the Cali version even has 10 less HP than the non-Cali non-HO. Its only 235/460 HP/TQ in Cali vs 305/550 for the HO. Looks like I'll be going to Vegas. Anybody know a Dodge dealer in Vegas or AZ?
    Thanks
    OL

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast