Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regarding vehicle up grades (do they really work)

VanDeano
    Has anyone had the same experince with after market stuff promising u better performace and better MPG?
    I have a 97 Suburban K1500 5.7 with the Jacobs ign.($500) K&N Filter Kit,($275) Throttle body spacer,($95) Flow masters,($250) and Hypertec 160 degree set up.($285)
    Everyone of those items promised better fuel mileage, NOPE not 1 bit of defference. If anything it is worse.
    Performce:
    Maybe there was a little the first couple of miles, but after that I honestly believe I lost performance. My buddy works for the GM, and he states that the OBD (on board computer) recognizes when u install after market parts.
    And after a few miles of driving the computer will adjust what ever it takes to put the vehicle back to it programed state. That explanes why I may have notice a bit of better performce at the first couple of miles.
    Since he told be that I put everything back to stock except for the mufflers and the K&N filter (with the stock housing). I couldn't be happier.
    If you really think about, Don't u think if there was other ways of getting better gas mileage or better performce the GM engineers would have down it. That is just my 2 cents...........

NorCal Gameshow
    what the engineers come up with and what the bean counters in the office come up with can be two different things $$$$$$$$

WETDAWG
    The things that work best on my '97 "burb" and the RVRDAUG are the AIR Raid intake system and a Gibson Catback.
    they really made a difference (in the sound mostly) but I like they way they perform
    Keep all the other stuff in the box.

Rubths
    2000 Ford turbo diesel I put the TTS chip in and it added 80hp and 180lbs of toque to the rear wheels, most poeple dont believe it but after they ride in it they say thats got to be the fastest excursion anywhere. Ohh and if thats not enough I have 100hp shot of propane if needed to smoke em up

LaveyClay
    Look @ the info presented www.fastchip.com. I let them reprogram my 97 burb 2500 7.4L. I had a K&N and performance exhaust before the programming. What a difference. The only draw back is you have to run @ least 91 octane fuel. I did the math on my truck and went from 10.5 MPG to 12. Even with the more expensive fuel cost, my cost per mile actually decreased. Check it out!

BowTie Rick
    Here is my take on your observations. I have been in the automotive aftermarket performance industry for my entire adult life and can offer some insight.
    I have a 97 Suburban K1500 5.7 with the Jacobs ign.($500) K&N Filter Kit,($275) Throttle body spacer,($95) Flow masters,($250) and Hypertec 160 degree set up.($285)
    Everyone of those items promised better fuel mileage, NOPE not 1 bit of defference. If anything it is worse.
    Well, I can guarantee you that K&N does not promise better gas mileage as I work there. Gas mileage is determined by how you drive. Intake and exhaust have the greatest impact at mid to upper RPMs, especially throttle body spacers. If you drove conservatively before making changes you may see no gain or even lose some. You may even tend to drive harder to "feel" the increased performance which is not good for comparing before and after mileage. If you drove hard to begin with, then you get the big gas mileage gains. We lead foots can attest to that : )
    Maybe there was a little the first couple of miles, but after that I honestly believe I lost performance. My buddy works for the GM, and he states that the OBD (on board computer) recognizes when u install after market parts.
    And after a few miles of driving the computer will adjust what ever it takes to put the vehicle back to it programed state. That explanes why I may have notice a bit of better performce at the first couple of miles.
    Impossible. The computer is programmed to achieve the optimal air/fuel ratio and timing curve for emissions as well as performance. The increased flow is "read" by the mass air and/or O2 sensors and fed to the computer which adjusts the fuel mixture richer to compensate. If it didn't, you would soon burn pistons and valves and that does not ever happen. The increased fuel being burned results in increased performance. Why you think performance was better at first than now is simple, you got used to it and it is no longer a novelty; it feels normal to you.
    If you really think about, Don't u think if there was other ways of getting better gas mileage or better performce the GM engineers would have down it. That is just my 2 cents...........
    No, I don't think they would. They are in the business of selling vehicles. To do so, one must move units. In order to move units, one must be priced competitely. If you make all these type of upgrades OEM, your vehicle is too expensive and less apealing to mass sales. Ferrari and Lamborgini would be exceptions. They have all the goodies but you pay out the ass to have them. And how many of them do you see driving in town? You see way more averge Joes driving average vehicles.

snappertapper
    i put flowmaster exhaust on my f 350 and i loved it, but the k&n ir system didnt do much for me!!

VanDeano
    Bowtie,
    you maybe right, and then again u could just be blowing smoke. All what u said made sense just like what my buddy said to me made sense.
    Dont take this personal and I dont want to have a pissen match w/ u....but it seems after market stuff is your bread and butter. And you talk like u know whats up. You probably could talk me into buying land on the moon. Just like how the others did by me buying all the useless after market shit.
    But I know what I know, and with my own personal experence with the after market shit I bought, there was no difference, other then sound. Im sure there is others out there that may say different.
    But you almost had me convince it might all be in my head, except what u said made me think other wise.
    " Here is my take on your observations. I have been in the automotive aftermarket performance industry for my entire adult life and can offer some insight.
    PS..... you maybe right that K&N does not promise better gas mileage, but they sure make u wanna believe they do by posting letters from there so called customers. Here is just 1 of at least 50 I seen....................
    I recently installed a K&N replacement air filter on my 2001 Toyota Tundra (V8). I was anxious to try it out so my family and I took a trip not too far from town. After coming back (on one tank of gas), I refueled to calculate the exact amount of gas used by the vehicle, and then calculated my gas mileage. To my amazement I achieved a fuel economy of 22 mpg on the highway! I still had gas in the tank which would have left me at over 550 miles to a full tank. This mileage is unheard of in a V8 pickup truck. Thank you for helping me take my vehicle to the next level in economy and performance.

Sun burners
    Borla headers and cat back, and a chip. not night and day difference but can cruise over 100 mph if needed...

Rickster
    I had a K&N filter in my 94'F150 6cyl for over 130,000 miles....2 months ago I needed to clean it again so I put in a paper filter & tossed the K&N on top my tool chest...didn't clean it....took a trip and the powerless 6 chugged up New Mexico mountains in 3rd gear that would have been in 5th gear w/K&N , sucked! Got home...wife says "how do you like the way I cleaned up the garage"? ....you guessed it, she threw away the filthy K&N I neglected to clean! The biggest HP/fuel gain was to use BG's Oil in tranny, rearend and motor. That old straight 6 is like a dud but it sure has been reliable...192,000 miles and only uses 2 oz's of oil every 5,000 miles.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast