Thread: 2 part question>>>

HammerDown
    1.) Earler this season I installed a Millodon 10 Qt Jet pan and Hi-Vol. Mellings oil pump...also used the Fel-Pro 1 piece Gasket (nice piece).
    I've had a (small) oil leak before the new oil pan and after the old one that has become to me an annoyance. As best as I can tell the new pans not leaking...I am seeing some oil on the front face of the flexplate...the rear main seal is only 2 seasons old. Question>Could a small amount of cylinder blow-by pressurize the crankcase and force oil out through the Rear Main Seal or pan gasket? I do see a (small) trace of oil on the valve cover at the breather after long hard runs. I do run a PCV valve in the other valve cover.
    2). Due to the above I'm going to pull the motor...dose anyone have the specks needed to build an Engine Cradle? The ones Jegs and Summit look to be of poor quality for the money...I do have a really nice Engine stand, but its to wide at the base to fit through my basement door.
    Sooooo if someone has the correct dimensions...I'll fab one up.
    Thanks for you suggestions.
    PS. I dont want to just use a dolly...dont really want the weight of my 468 being supported by the oil pan till I get it in the house.

RandyH
    Why not build some of these.

or

I have one of those cheap summit cradles and they suck. If you want to borrow it for a pattern let me know and I will send it to you. But if your going to redo your pan and rear seal dont you want it on a stand. This summit unit breaks down for easy shipping so let me know.

RandyH

HammerDown
    Thanks Randy, they are more or less what I'm talking about...If I could find out the exact dimensions/locations of the vertical supports and the angle/degree W/hole locations of the motor mount plate holes...I could build around that.
    And no, this unit would only be used to pull the motor into my house and maybe store it for the winter...My Heavy Duty 4 wheel Engine stand will be used for the pan removal....again .
    One thing...I'm not seeing any cross brace underneath the motor that ties the two side supports together...looks like they could just spread apart eek! is this true? If so I'm glad I didnt order the Summit or Jegs units.
    If I had a spare BBC Block lying around I'd be off a building...but I don't.
    Thanks.
    Forgot to mention...I'm looking to build a stand that also supports the rear of the block. wink
    [ September 22, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

RandyH
    This is the one I have from Summit. You can borrow this one to copy but frankly it just doesnt fit that well to my Merlin II. Plus when you have it bolted to the back of the block , I couldnt put on the bell housing, flex plate, or H Bar together. Plus there is barely enough room underneath to clear the deep jet oil pans. So if you copy this one make sure you add some height to it. Thats what impressed me about the stands in that DNE photo. You can assemble everything and roll it around. I agree there is no cross piece but they look rigid enough to hold up. Now I just need to find a set. PM me and get me your address and I will ship this Summit unit out to you.

Good luck,
    RandyH

HammerDown
    RandyH, check your PM's....Thanks.

RandyH
    Got it, Check your email, sketchs enclosed.
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

HammerDown
    RandyH:
    Got it, Check your email, sketchs enclosed.
    Good Luck,
    RandyH Thanks...they printed out just fine. One thing...ya didnt give any detail about the width for a BBC ?
    Everything else is a go...and thanks again.

RandyH
    The cross bar pretty much sets the width on this thing Hammerdown. Mine is not adjustable like the picture in Summits cat. When I tighten it all up it gets all contorted because of the angle clips bolting to the sqaure tubing. It doesnt hold its shape and if I give you some of the hole dimensions assembled I wouldnt trust them.
    These things are not the best fabricated pieces at all. I left it all loose on my motor till I could get everything lined up and then tightened it up. If you build each piece as shown, evrything should fit. Or use mine as a pattern.
    Later, RandyH

HammerDown
    True Randy, and I thought about that after I left my last post. No biggie fabing a cross brace last, after the 2 sides are in place.
    I should have all the needed materal next week.