Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Computer To Buy???????

HammerDown
    Need something new...Dell or GateWay. I could sure use the help from some of you pro's.
    $$$$I'd like to keep the price under a grand.$$$$
    Can ya give me some pro's or con's.
    There's a GateWay store close to home...and should that make a difference?
    Thanks for any info.

Havasu Hangin'
    I have a Gateway- they can "go to Dell," as far as I'm concered. I too thought that the Gateway Stores would be an advantage- how wrong I was.
    Hard drive crashed under warranty. The store was no help- it was easier to have it shipped to me and have the customer load it. Very nice. Strike one.
    It turns out they won't warranty the data recovery. Not only that, but they didn't even ship me a drive with the OS or software from the factory on it. Strike two
    CD-R burned up (literally). I gave it to the Gateway Store. They called me up, and told me that it will take them a couple days to fix it...or, I can come & pick it up, and they would overnight me the CD-R. I guess I am better at servicing my computer than they are. Strike three.
    BTW, the idiots gave me my computer back with the defective CD-R still plugged in, and I couldn't get it to boot...all they had to do was unplug it...what a bunch of rocket scientists. Strike four.
    The whole time, they are sending me notices that they will charge me for the defective hard drive, since I havn't shipped it back in a "timely manner." Excuse me sirs, I'm busy spending $500 to get data off your defective hard drive that is under warranty, now you want to charge me for the broken part? Strike five.
    Next time, dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

Lake Lifeguard
    Hi there,
    I have owned a Gateway and now own a Dell. The Gateway started off good or at least I thought it was good. Then I discovered the joys of DSL. The Gateway was less than enthusiastic about DSL and never worked right again. It is now a Freecell machine for my kids. The Dell on the other hand is a gem. I wont go on much more as I dont want to sound like a Dell commercial but I am a very happy customer.
    I bought the 4300S with a slim case so all of my expansion has been through USB ports but even with an external CD-RW it still blows the Gateway away in all areas.
    But a least the Gateway originally came in a cow print box so at least it had that going for it.
    [ July 22, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Lake Lifeguard ]

HammerDown
    Thanks, this is the type of input I'm looking for.
    Is there anything on the Dell site that looks to be a good machine? (4500s)or (4800)???
    At this time I'm using a IBM LapTop. (My girlfriends). I would like to get the new Desk top asap. Thanks again.

Lake Lifeguard
    That 4500S with the free memory and harddrive upgrade looks great. Just be aware it is a slim case and internal expandability is limited. All for less than $800 is impressive too.

HammerDown
    I never thought about it that way...thanks! And good point! The 4800 offers a flat monitor (grey screen)...but its NOT a DELL any thoughts?

fat rat
    I ordered a Gateway and they ended up sending me something I didn't order,( not even close) I cancelled my order and ordered a Dell......no complaints. I'm sure they all have there problems.....Good Luck.

Lake Lifeguard
    Oh hell, now I did the most horrific thing one can do after you buy something. Look at something similar and see what you could have had if you had waited. I want that Dell Dimension 8200 now. I need 2 gigs of ram and a 2.53 ghz processor. Why I dont know but I do.

Kindsvater Flat
    I done all the name brands. Now I build my own. I have yet to have one fail and a 1/3 of the cost.

riverliver
    dell Refurbished is the way to go, i have 4,
    great prices

wink

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast