Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panther Jet?

curtis26
    Hi, Im about to buy a real nice boat project but it has a panther jet and im not at all familiar with them. Are they any good? Are they able to compete with a berkely pump? Whats the deal with the panthers??? :skull:

malcolm
    Most people will say RUN!!!!
    They work alright, but are.... different. Not many upgrades available either. How fast are you looking to go?

curtis26
    well im happy with the 60's range but faster is always better. I found a real nice 89 outlaw hull that is in great shape the only problem with the boat is the 454 scattered and the seats need upohlstry. The guy only wants 900 for it. Is this a good deal?

BigBlockBaja
    Most people will say RUN!!!!
    They work alright, but are.... different. Not many upgrades available either. How fast are you looking to go?
    Yup, Id look other places..stick with a berk/dom/at/leg/or whatever else is similar.

curtis26
    I dunno I could try and stuff a Berk in there but that could be a ton of work and fiberglass? I just like the boat because its Newer model, nice hull, good gel, but but I do not know about the PANTHER?? I more so just want a nice cruiser not a 80 mph boat

Cas
    Curtis,
    I've been thinking about that boat also! Here's a thread about converting a hull from a Panther pump to a Dominator.
    Panther/Dominator conversion (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***b...picID=262.topi c)
    What's interesting is the conversion was done on an Apache hull just like the one you're thinking about.
    As malcolm said, there aren't very many upgrades for the panther but if you're going to be happy with mid to high 60's, it'll do. If you want to read more about the Panther pumps, there's a forum on the LBBA board with a lot of info. The above link takes you there

curtis26
    Thanks CAS yes I think im gonna go pick up the boat today and just get it running again and see how I like it. If the panther is as bad as they claim, I can do the conversion and have a pretty trick boat. I like the looks of that conversion :crossx: :crossx: I just dunno how much its gonna hurt my wallet. I finally sold my Bahner for 8k and bought a 67 camaro but as much as i tried I couldnt stay away from the jets!!!

AZKC
    I ran my Panther almost 20 years before I had it rebuilt. Not the best pump for hot rodding but great for what I do.

Cas
    If the panther is as bad as they claim, I can do the conversion and have a pretty trick boat.
    Just a guess but 95% of the people that say Panthers are bad never had one. Most of that is also coming from drag racers and from their point of view, Panthers are not the best pump for the 1/4 mile. Unless of course you're gonna race in the 15 sec bracket
    For a lake boat with mild power to it, it's a good pump. I've had a couple of boats with a Panther and a couple with a Berk. In a relatively stock set-up, I'll take the Panther due to it's manueverability. On top of that, a Panther comes stock with many things that the other pumps will cost a ton of money to get.
    If you need any help with the pump or set-up, let me know and I'll be happy to give you a hand with it. I'm guessing you're in NorCal?

curtis26
    Thanks for the offer and advice, yes im located in NorCal. My boat stays most of the time in Dixon at our ranch, I live in Sacramento. I just got the thing home and its a solid boat. Motor is locked up and its too bad, looked to be a std. bore crate motor that was built up and overreved. I havent got to the lower end yet but there are major problems down there. The Gel I thought could be buffed or cleared over needs to just be painted over which isnt a big deal I just did that to my last one. There is only one stress crack that I can see and a few little blemishes but a far far better boat than the 73 tahiti I have for sale on craigslist not only that its a 89! Im gonna paint it, upohlster it, and find a motor jsut to get it on the water then this winter see if going the Berk route is what I wanna do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast